The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

.22 Recommendations?

9K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  Plinkin 
#1 ·
After growing up and moving out and away from home I've been missing having my Dad's Marlin .22 that I could use when I wanted for squirrel hunting. Currently most of what I hunt has varied habitat so I take my 20 O/U, but a few places are mostly squirrel and deer. When I hunt those early season I would really like to have a .22 and am now slowly researching what I'd like to get used.

Any suggestions as to a reliable .22 bolt or lever action, that I might be able to get for reasonable price used? (Not looking for a safe queen here) I figure this sort of hunting will keep me busy until small game starts again next Fall.

Thanks for your input guys.

#2 ·
depends on your budget. i have two that i can highly recommend.

rem 582 - older, tube fed guns made from late 60's to early 80's. decent ones go for around $250. mine is extremely accurate and very light.

ruger 77/22 - been made for about 30 years. clip fed, very accurate and good looking. you can find used ones for around $450.

the current crop of marlins and savages are more utilitarian. good shooters but not really good lookers. with perhaps the exception of the savage classic. CZ makes a nice one too for about the same as a used 77/22.

#3 ·
The Ruger 77/22 is a great choice. Love mine.

For a really fun gun to shoot look at the Henry lever actions. Bought my son one a couple of years ago. The whole family loves it. Any questions shoot Henry an email & you'll get a personal reply from the president himself.

#11 ·
go with marlin! I want to get the 983 ss. I am not sure if they make the 17 mach 2 anymore but it is better than the 22 cal in my opinion. Dont have any pics of squirrels i got with the mach 2. the black gun is a .22

notice the shot placement. Not saying you wont do as good with another brand but marlin is the only rimfire i or my future kids will own. Only gripe is their actions come greasy or dirty.

#12 ·
sorry the pics were so big i thought they were resized.

I love that snow picture might make it my back ground. Hope you go with marlin. If not i would say savage is just as good if not better with the accu trigger. Just biased i guess. Shot a guys savage 17 at the range with a modified trigger. He said he couldn't get it zeroed. I shot the number 10 out of a morell target and suggested he not touch his scope.

Not sure on the black 22 price these days. Couldnt be more than 140 bucks new.

#13 ·
I like Marlin 22's for a couple reasons.
1 - they are about as inexpensive as you can get.
2 - They are the most accurate guns I've ever used.
3 - You can pick one up just about anywhere.

I have a couple, and I will say I really like the tube feed guns better than clip fed. With a clip the balance point is where the clip is at. It makes carrying with one hand a bit more of a pain. The tube feed is smooth on the bottom. Mine holds 17 rounds of lr ammo. I usually just load the tube, and go hunting. It's rare that I have to add more bullets.

#16 ·
I shoot an older Marlin Model 25. Got it for christmas in 1986. Still to this day it is the most accurate .22 LR I have ever had the pleasure of firing.

You just have to find the loads that the particular rifle likes....Mine likes CCI Mini-Mag HP's. It makes one ragged hole at 50 yards with the full clip.

I love the looks of some of the higher priced guns out there and am a fan of lever actions and pumps. But if you can find a decent, used Marlin bolt action......You will be pleasantly surprised.....Not only in the accuracy but also in the fact that your wallet will not take tooo much of a beating.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.