cheap online flies? Any one buy these things? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

cheap online flies? Any one buy these things?

I am not into buying flies, and only fish with stuff I ty on my own. I am just curious as to what type of quality you can expect from a 50 cent fly? Do they hold up well? What is the quality of the hooks on these things as well.

Are these guys getting their flies imported from third world countries? No fly shop or commercial tyer in America could afford to sell flies at that price, even if selling wholesale. You can search on ebay for flies, and find a dozen woven stones for like $5.00. Even at great 5 mins a piece on a woven stone, that's still 12 an hour, and only making $5.00 an hour. subtract the cost of materials and they wouldn't make a dime.

I don't tie that many dries and had sometimes contemplated if it is even worth it to by certain kinds of hackle if you can just go and by 10 flies - $5.00 (probably all the more dry flies I would need in a year) instead of spending 40 per cape on certain kinds of hackle to tie a few dries per year with. or just by a few of the dries you may only need 2 a year with.

Does anyone fill there boxes with flies from these discount online distributors?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: cheap online flies? Any one buy these things?

I tie all my own subsurface flies. I buy about 50% of my dries from online shops. I don't use them enough to justify purchasing expensive necks. For the price they are decent flies. Plus my dry fly tying skills aren't what they should be

Goin in early and stayin late.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmike
Are these guys getting their flies imported from third world countries?
Yes. Wholesalers get them tied in countries where labor costs are very low.

The website retailers buy from those wholesalers, and re-sell them on their websites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 PM

The ones I have seen are good. Far better than the average angler tied fly.jmo.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I buy all my flies online and have never had any issues with them. I never got into tying, guess I never had the touch for arts and crafts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 AM

I bought a dozen royal coachman, size 14, for $3.00 on eBay. In my case you get what you pay for. I was crimping the barb down on one and the hook broke. Two more don't look like they finished the fly completely. I usually buy all my stuff locally but I was curious of the quality for the price. I'll pass in the future and continue to buy local.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mike, i use to buy all my flys online. Then taught myself how to tie. For one reason only. "Hook quality" the flys I buy online are tied great and look beautiful but the hooks they tie them on are total crap! Now they would be absolutely fine to land a little dinky 12in PA trout. But up in NY the monster browns steel and salmon absolutely wreck em. 0 chance of landing a 30in steelhead on a .50c #12 bought fly. Straightened right out. Ive had size 4 salmon flys and the steelheads straighten them like they are a size 22.
I got so tired of losing monster browns steels and salmon so thats why i got into tying my own. So I could tie them on a Daiichi,Tiemco,mustad signature,black bird sabertooth,Raven and Dai Riki hooks. Best thing ive ever done. Now I can haul in those drag burning machines without fear of straightening the hooks.

Fishing, Turkey Hunting, Shed Hunting, Archery Hunting yep that's it!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 PM

I've used them with good results. I buy almost all my dries online except for black ants, foam beetles, and elk hair caddis. I've landed some 6-10 lb steel on small flies size 18-20 and most are usually trashed. I prefer to tie all my steelhead patterns on 2x heavy hooks.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys. I researched this a bit and found that guys are somewhat happy with the quality of these flies. I contemplated ordering a few dry flies, but I am too stubborn, and only like to fish with flies I tie myself.

I can tie dry flies, but I RARELY use them, as said above, I just don't want to spend a ton of money for necks that I wont really tie that much from.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 PM
The Man

You can tie a bunch of different dry flies without hackle.

Comparaduns for example. Very effective dry flies.

Also terrestrials such as deerhair ants, beetles, crickets, hoppers.

You can also tie an elk hair caddis, but just without hackle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page