Good trout fly rod - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Good trout fly rod

Been fishing my whole life and have caught some trophies over the years so I'm not a rookie at fishing. However I've never picked up a fly rod I live in philadelphia so trout fishing is a family tradition to go to the creek opening day then about a week of fishing after work then the stripers normally move into the river so I'm done trout fishing. Just looked into wild trout streams around the area and found that I drive past one atleast once a week going to the girlfriends. Anyways looking for any advice on a good fly rod for trout don't want to break the bank like I did with some of my other rods but do want something of some what quality. Thanks for any and all advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: Good trout fly rod

I have a redington pursuit, normally costs about $100 but i got mine on sale for $80. Mine is a 5 weight, two piece that I don't hesitate to use for stocked trout or natives. i have a pfluger medalist reel on it, which balances well with it. I usually like a double taper .floating line because i can turn it around and get twice the life out of it , but for a beginner you might might want to look into a weight forward line because it will make longer casts easier. Go with a tapered leader because it will be cheaper than using a braided leader (trust me, you'll go through a few before you get the hang of casting.) As for tippet, I usually use 2 lb maxima chameleon for natives and small streams where i will usually just catch trout. If there is a chance might hook a monster or a smallmouth, I'll use 3 lb maxima. Good luck with your new endeavor a and tight lines!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Can't wait to get after it and get the hang of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 AM
Part of the Community

St. Croix, Redington, and Cabelas all have serviceable, economical rods. Another option would be to buy a used, higher end rod from a maker such as Orvis, Winston or Sage. You should be able to buy a used rod in excellent condition for one third to one half of its new selling price. It's always a good idea to see, and cast with the rod before buying it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

what is ur price range, alot of good rods out there and most of the bigger company's make a rod that doesnt cost alot...the hardest part would be decided on what length and weight you want to chose from
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

I got a Cahill combo from cabelas. It is a cheap real but the rod is pretty good. It's good to get you on the water cheap.

I use mine for bluegills mostly and it's a lot of fun.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

That's more the info I kind of need should have been more specific. Like what is a good length and weight for such fishing.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its all going to depend on what ur fishing for, size of fish, body of water, nymphing or dry or both i know its a lot of information but it will actually help in the long run...but if you looking for just a basic trout rod i would suggest a 9' 4wt in a medium action rod
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Most I see myself fishing with it is in a couple local wild trout streams. The creek they stock around here is really small and really packed when they stock so I'd imagine it would just be used in those streams during winter to stay sane haha. I don't even know what nymphing or dry is I suppose I have a lot of homework to do
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

PM sent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page