Newbie Fly Fishing Clinic - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Newbie Fly Fishing Clinic

Ok here we go. I would like to try and have a fly fishing get together for anyone that would like to learn a few things about fly fishing. The date isnt set yet but leaning towards late winter early spring. I would like to hold it on Yellow Creek in Bedford County but might have to move it else where depending on the date that we do it and how many people that we have interested in it. I would like to keep it down to about 8-10 people just so we can have more 1 on 1 time but i would open it up to a few more if needed. We can make this a weekend thing, if we do then i will have to charge a small fee 10-20 per person for rental on the Lodge (price will depend on how many people). If we you interested please either PM me or respond to this post. Also let me know some things that would like to learn. If we do a over night thing then we can go over alot of information, like building/adding to a leader, knots, what fly to use and when, where the fish will be holding during that time of year, etc. Once i get a real feel on who would like to attend we will go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Newbie Fly Fishing Clinic

Sounds good would be interested if timing works out. Thanks Blacksmith

camp in A.N.F.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 PM

I'm interested so give me a holler when you set a date. I already have several things on the books for Jan, Feb and the first of Mar.

Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would be interested.

Best regards,

Rick

Gen 21:20 So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Part of the Community

It also depends on the dates for me as well, as for what I would like to learn? What flies to use when, fly tying, casting techniques, reading a stream, all of it basically.

Not sure if it matters but I would be willing to stay one night and pitch in with food cost etc. I also went through a year of culinary school if someone needed help preparing the food.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

the date might depend on the amount of people that we have...if we do it in jan-feb while all streams are open we will have alot of water that we can fish but it will be cold and the fishing will be slow....if we do it in the month and a half that the creeks are closed we will have 1 mile of open water and once everything closes that section can get crowded, if we only have a few guys that might not be a problem...now if we do it while the streams are closed and it get crowded then we can go to the little J but that will be alittle over a hour drive. Im about open to everything the only weekend that i cant really do it on is around march 30 that is my daughters birthday. i also need to check with my unlce-inlaw about when the lodges will be open but that shouldnt be a problem....so let me know what you guys think
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repperson29
It also depends on the dates for me as well, as for what I would like to learn? What flies to use when, fly tying, casting techniques, reading a stream, all of it basically.

Not sure if it matters but I would be willing to stay one night and pitch in with food cost etc. I also went through a year of culinary school if someone needed help preparing the food.
thanks for the offer, the lodge will have a full kitchen so we can figure something out
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
The Man

I would like to attend, but will not be able to spend the night. I would be willing to hold some tying instructions.

Would be nice if we could get it down to instructors, and learners. Would make it easier to divide up the duties, and organize. Lets say we have 1 instructor teaching tying flies, another on the stream about reading water, and such. Would be better to have a few different instructors, as to teach different styles, different methods that can be used and such. Or maybe set up time blocks for each instruction. I like the idea of the yellow creek fly project, as there is a pretty good mix of water there as well.

I would like to get started on some flies for those attending this.

I would like to learn a bit on leader construction to be honest. I think another good class would be knot tying as well. These are my 2 weakest links as a fly fisherman.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

if there would be a tying it almost have to be held at the lodge, yea you can tie along the stream but it would be hard to teach along with the other things....thats why i was hoping for a overnight thing so we can go over all of the stuff and get as much time fishing as we can
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

how many of you guys that are interested spring gobbler hunt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page