Orvis Rod question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Orvis Rod question

I used to take a retired gentleman fly fishing every chance I got. I met him through our church as both he and I were Assistant Scoutmasters. He and his wife lived at a retirement village and I'd pick him up at his house.

He had a variety of high end fly rods and he seemed to enjoy fishing with all of them. He would tell me what he liked about the particular rod and where he acquired them.

On one occasion, I saw him using a two-piece Orvis rod. That particular day, I couldn't snag a trout as it seemed that all the fish in the Falling Spring wanted to be caught with his rod and reel. I don't remember asking Bob what combination rod and reel he was using.

About four months after Bob passed away, his widow appeared at my front door and told me it was Bob's wishes that I received a particular rod and reel. It was the Orvis rod. After thanking her I eagerly opened the rod tube and assembled the rod. I took the small reel out of the leather case and attached it to the rod. The balance was unlike my custom, six foot, St. Croix rod and reel. This Orvis graphite rod is a 6 1/2 feet long, 1 ounce, 2 weight rod. It was accompanied by a CFO II reel that was made in England. I have no idea how old this combo is but would like to know. Can anyone give me an idea when it might have been manufactured?

Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Orvis Rod question

If u can't find a answer here I would call orvis
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 03:58 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

What is the model and serial number?

RIZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

RIZ, there is no serial number on the rod or tube. It simply states, Orvis graphite rod, 6 1/2', "ONE OUNCE" 1oz., #2 LINE on the outside of the tube and about ten inches up from the cork on the rod. Guess I'm going to have to call Orvis and see if they can give me some info. It's a nice little rod. The CFO II reel also has Orvis engraved in it along with "Made in England" but again, no serial number.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Part of the Community

my guess it is an old super fine Orvis fly rod that they made years ago. I believe they had maroon to red colored wrapping. The CFO real is one of the best Orvis has ever made. I believe the one ounce was a very popular rod and one that is a great rod for a little native stream. I would contact slate Run tackle shop in slate Run PA. I used to work there years ago and Tom would steer you in the right direction.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 PM

You are very fortunate, that is a great setup. I just got a 2wt superfine for my birthday and it is awesome.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfursfeathers
my guess it is an old super fine Orvis fly rod that they made years ago. I believe they had maroon to red colored wrapping.
I agree. I believe they were early 90's super fines. the name or model was stamped on the butt of the reel seat. I have the Small Stream and Tight loop models, both with maroon wraps.

sweet casting rods.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I seriously believe that this rod is older than the '90"s.

I contacted Slate Run Tackle Shop and Tom Finkbiner responded that the date should be on the reel seat. I checked and no date on the reel seat. Tom responded that it had to have a date on the butt end of the reel seat but I can assure him that it does not. You see, the small cork handle extends to the butt end of the reel seat. The reel is secured with two bands that simply slide up over either end of the reel platform. There is no custom reel seat...it's just a flat spot on the cork handle.

If you balance this rod over your finger and let it see-saw back and forth, it seems to change color from a steel gray to a darker color. The guide wraps I guess could be called maroon. It has a total of eight guides.

This stupid thing really has my interest peaked so I'm going to email Orvis. If I'm able to find out the age, I'll post same.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Well, you're not going to believe this, but I emailed Orvis at 8:49 tonight and got a reply at 9:38 PM...ON THE NIGHT BEFORE THANKSGIVING!!! I can't believe it.

Anyway, Garrett from Orvis says, "The rod and reel that you have are likely from the early 90's. The CFO reels were manufactured in England at that time and the rod certainly fits the era. We manufactured the Orvis Graphite rods from the late 80's to early 90's (the rods from the 90's were probably the highest volume manufactured and sold). There may be a manufacturers dater on the rod blank above the cork. It is a 2 or 4 digit number indicating year or month/year. I hope you find this information helpful."

Well I checked the rod once more and there are no numbers above the cork, but I'm quite satisfied with his response. Thanks to all who responded and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Maybe it's a custom rod on an orvis blank? Just a thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page