first presentation/fly tying demo yesterday - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
The Man

first presentation/fly tying demo yesterday

Was invited to give a presentation at Tri County Trout Club a few months ago. I was a bit nervous about doing this but though I would give it a try. My presentation was called, Winter Fly Fishing in Pennsylvania, (It's Just You, the Stream, and the Fish) I covered all of the basics of winter fly fishing and techniques that work for me.

I was a bit intimdated because there were around 30 guys present and this was my first ever presentation. I would guess that 70 percent of them more than doubled my age. I presented for roughly and hour or so. During the Q&A session many of the questions started with "Great Presentation"

I am not going to lie I was super nervous to do this, but now look forward to presenting at another location in the future. The president of the Arrowhead Chapter, said he may look into having me as a speaker, which boosted my confidence a bit.

I then went to the tying table and tied a rubber leg stone that has been effective for me this past winter. I gave away two Allen Fly Fishing boxes, with 20 or so of my flies that work in the winter, and just one plane box.

I would suggest this to anyone who can put together a presentation who has knowledge on the sport. It was a blast getting people into winter fly fishing, and teaching them a new pattern. many members took notes, and asked very good questions.

I did have one slip up when tying the fly and forgot to rib the body. I didn't panic and told the members "Now, I will show you how to rescue a fly" It got a laugh and a member even told a story about another member who always forgot to wrap the hackle on his wooly buggers, the member replied, "Hey they made good leeches"

The whole experience was pleasurable, and it felt good to give back to the sport I love. Once the nerves were gone it was very fun. It made for a long day as I didn't get home until 11:00 because of the travle distance, but would do it again in a second.

I saved the powerpoint, and can email it to anyone who would be interested in taking a look. Remember I am no Joe Humphry's or profession just did a presentation on what works for me in the winter time. It is in more or less outline format but would be happy to answer any question you may have. If you do get it, please by all means offer suggestions to make the presentation better.

Thanks again Tri County Trout Club for giving me the opportunity to present. I hope that if any members of HPA were present to pm me with insight on things that you liked or did not like about the presentation.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: first presentation/fly tying demo yesterday

Also George Daniel will be speaking there next week, I did make it clear that I am not nearly on the same level as George, and be sure to go to his presentation. His book is great and he donated to the auction for Sky a few months back.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Sounds familiar, first one I was ever invited to was at Indianapolis Speedway, took me 15 hours to get there. Honestly, I dont miss that work. Good for you though!

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Mike,
Congrats! With this shift I'm currently working now (2am-noon), it was impossible for me to attend your seminar, unfortunately.... I give you credit for your effort and you can learn much from self-evaluation after it's over. I know it's not easy!

I also gave a presentation there last year. It was about Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, helping wounded and disabled veterans assimilate back into society and more of a normal life by giving them a new challenge to overcome, and learn to enjoy our sport! I, too, was nervous at first, as it was my fledging endeavour to speak in front of so many! I stopped intermittingly and asked if anyone had questions answered while it was on their mind, and that worked well, so there could be interaction and keep everyone interested. That "breather" gave me a chance to relax & also sneak a drink of water while listening to their questions/comments. A slide projector really helped me give extended time to each picture, when needed, so the visual would "stick" with the audience better....

After I was done, many of them came up, thanked me, and said they'd always heard of the organization, but never fully understood it until I offered my insight and close experiences about many of them involved/participating in PHWFF. I displayed 6 fully restored bamboo fly rods that would be given to the heroes. Some came up to view them and asked, "Did YOU restore ALL of these yourself?" I told them at that time, they were 6 of about 41 that I'd restored in slightly over a year's time! The 41 were exclusively for the vets, but didn't include all the others I'd done for myself or for clients! Many of those rods are currently owned by those wounded men and women and participating in their local Healing Waters program at their VA Hospital.

I can think of no better way of giving back to them for what sacrifices they've given for our way of life and the security we feel. Yes, please send your presentation, as I'd like to see if I can learn some tips from you for when I need to present again!
anglerscane at gmail dot com

Thank you,
Joe Pacacha

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
The Man

email sent

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mike, can you send me the powerpoint? I'd love to see it!

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

HERE ARE A FEW PICS OF ME DURING THE TYING DEMO

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 01:28 AM
The Man

WOW! You tie with your eyes closed! Darn your good! LOL! You know I am just kidding!!! Very cool!

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Part of the Community

Wish i was there that would have been a great experience could you send the power point to me?
Thanks
email: [email protected]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

sent it hof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page