great news today from Montana (hopper pics added) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
The Man

great news today from Montana (hopper pics added)

My supervisor, who took about 50 grass hoppers of mine to Montana with him had a great trip and used my hoppers exclusively. Here is what I was greeted with this morning:

"Your grasshoppers were a hit, the guide out there even suggested that his father tie one on. We caught a lot of trout on them." I was a bit nervous about these as it was my first time tying with foam, as my typical orders are for nymphs and streamers. I asked if he was happy with the quality and his response was, "Yes, Very! I fished with the same hopper all day on the Missouri River, and never had an issue. Caught multiple fish on that hopper as well."

I was reluctant to take this order, but glad that I did. I learned a new tying skill and was able to get some great feedback from a different state. It meant alot that the guide, who ties hoppers himself, suggested that someone use one of mine instead of his! Feeling happy today.

He did tell me that the the state shut down the river after 2:00 because the trout were under a lot of stress because of the higher temps. I thought that was an great thing, but could never see our state doing any such thing.

Hoping he got some pictures, but not that important to me. Just happy that a professional guide from Montana, used my hoppers over his. Today was a good day for me.

here is a picture of the hoppers, nothing fancy. I thought the legs were a bit long but he told me that is how he wanted them. They worked and he was happy so that is all that matters to me If anyone wants the recipe I can put it up. Very easy to tie, once you are used to working with foam,

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Got some great news today from Montana

Hey Mike,
Good read! I was out there 2 weeks ago and didn't even kick a hopper out of the weeds the whole 5 days, so it's encouraging that the trout will still hit them when presented.. Yours must look just right to them as I had spotty action on the foam hoppers I was using. Most times they were taking the #20 ant instead when used as my dropper fly...

Yes, by 2pm the fish were turned off, so it made no sense to pound the water until evening... What's the name of your hopper that worked so well? I want to look it up on your site to get a better view of it...

Thanks,
Canefly

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
The Man

basically a version of the Chernobyl ant in various colors. I don't think I got any pics of them. I will check in the am

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Part of the Community

I'd also like to see a picture of your hopper also, Mike.

As Caneflyfishn said, this is an exceptionally poor year for hoppers in most of Montana. Plus, the fish on the Missouri are ordinarily hard to fool, so if your pattern worked there, that speaks well for it.

I haven't been up there to fish it this summer (most of my time is on the Yellowstone, about 150 miles south), but I was not aware that it had been shut down by the Fish and Wildlife for afternoon fishing - it is not presently listed on their website as having that restriction. Since it is a tailwater fishery, the temperatures are normally cool enough to preclude closures that are presently in effect on some other rivers in this part of the state. The water temps below Holter Dam (where I presume you boss fished) are presently in the mid-60's. It can be closed when the water temps are 73 degrees or more for 3 straight days.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 PM

Gentlemen,
I would be interested in what this hopper looks like myself,.
Pictures please!
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page