Stimulating Day - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Stimulating Day

Some photo's from a day of fishing last week. Nothing like good flows and fifty nine degree water in July.

It was a one fly day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Stimulating Day

Nice fish and pics!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 AM
The Man

Nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM

I hate your camera haha! Really excellent photos. The growth on the native is exceptional. See how his back dives down into his head. That's a sign that he is getting more then enough food.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
The Man

I really like the photos, especially the one of the brook trout.

I looked at your blog, where you have the same photos posted. And the photos look much more sharp, more clear here on this website than on your blog. Do you know why that is?

The brook photo especially looks very sharp, very clean and in focus the whole length of the fish.

Getting good fish photos ain't easy. Fish are shiny and reflect light, they move, and you have to take the photo fairly close up, which creates focus (depth of field) issues. But that brookie photo looks great.

Do you have any tips for us on how to get good fish photos?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Banned

59 degree water,... take me please,...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I looked at your blog, where you have the same photos posted. And the photos look much more sharp, more clear here on this website than on your blog. Do you know why that is?
Different websites that you actually have to upload the photo's too, such as a blog, don't always provide the sharpest images. Even hosting sites vary with the quality of the pictures you post from them. A lot of it has to do with image size and the sharpening algorithms of the sites you upload to. The photo's here are hosted on Flickr, which I have found is the best free site for retaining sharpness when you share pictures, they have the same sharpness as the original image no matter the size I decide to use. Even paid hosting sites have these issues so you have to do your homework.

My best advice for taking pictures of trout is to carry a net, which I know some will groan about. LOL The fish I post pictures of are never out of the water for more than two or three seconds. I get them in the net and then get my camera ready to take a picture.

These pictures were all taken with a DSLR which isn't something that's convenient to carry on your person as you fish. When I'm using this camera it's sitting on top of my backpack on the side of the stream as I fish a small section. When I catch a fish I want to photograph I net it and wade over to my camera (if I'm even in the water), making sure to put the strap around my neck, and get ready to take a picture before the fish ever leaves the water. I use the auto setting and shoot in RAW. It just takes too much time to correct settings while trying to get the fish back on it's way as quick as possible.

When I'm using my compact underwater camera I rarely use the net, although I do at times for an exceptionally frisky fish, and just leave the fish in the water as I get the camera out. My main goal, besides getting a nice photo, is to keep the fish in the water no matter what camera I use.

Your biggest issues for getting good quality photos of fish are lighting and camera shake. Using appropriate shutter speeds and ISO settings that will let you achieve those speeds will do wonders for getting a nice crisp image. The net method above ties into this as you're more composed and not in as much of a rush to get the shot off. Being aware of the lighting plays a huge role too, more often than not you want the main source of light behind you. Also don't be afraid to use the flash, even in daylight as it will fill in shadows. Actually, taking a picture of a fish just under the surface of the water in a shaded area with the flash produces very good results.

These are all just suggestions and it really takes practice doing it and a bit of experimenting to get the results you want. Sometimes a little luck is involved as well. Unless you're going to eat it, don't sacrifice the fish for the sake of a picture though. A blurry picture of a fish that lives to fight another day is better than a sharp image of a fish that is 'played with' too much.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 PM

I dont trust myself to carry my DSLR fishing....If something would happen to it my wife would kill me!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 PM
The Man

Thanks for the good photo tips. I agree that it's good to have a net, so you can keep the fish in the water while preparing for the photo.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 AM
The Man

Very nice!!!

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page