Wild Day on Penns...long post - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Wild Day on Penns...long post

Not sure where to begin...well on the way up to the Catch and Release section I had to stop for a bear standing in the middle of the road (of course I didn't have my battery in the camera, it was pretty dark, but still)...then on the way in I passed a doe at 10 yards that stood like a statue as I passed...didn't flinch!

I picked up two browns and a rainbow in an hour:

After that I couldn't take the lingering memory of the big one from Sunday, so I headed downstream. On the way I passed a tiny fawn and mom and three turkeys:

I then decided to multitask...I took the fly rod and the spinning rod and planned to fish to any rising trout and fill the gaps in between with the spinning rod. Well I landed 13 more trout on the fly rod, mostly on Slate Drakes and Joe's Hoppers (a perfect slate drake imitation if you ask me), and somewhere between 75 and 85 on the spinners, no that is not a typo, I stopped counting at 70. Sunday I told Tagout if I could just land every fish I hooked, I'd catch a hundred trout. Well today I landed most of the fish I hooked..finally!

The real treat was the last fish of the day...up to this point I had landed a brook, a few rainbows and several browns. 2 weeks ago 3F's and I found a palomino in a pool so I worked my down and sure enough he was still there. The Joe's Hopper proved to irresistable for him. It is the first one I have ever caught (mostly because I typically only fish for wild trout, so this was a treat!)

Here are a few of the spinner trout (yeah I know wrong forum). One thing I liked about today is I got to catch trout in my favorite ways. Caught a few nymphing, matched a slate drake hatch and picked a few up on those dry flies, threw a few terrestrials and caught some on that (even had 4 hit a cicada pattern) and finally got to watch trout crash on some spinners. Awesome day!

It was a little tough fishing 3 miles with both rods, but it was worth it! I did however have a bear charge me on the creek, it was a bluff and it happened so fast I didn't have to be scared or do anything actually. I think he might have been checking out what the cabin owners left behind from the weekend and the wind shifted and he caught my scent and it startled him, whatever it was I heard the huffing and the crashing in time to see black coming towards me and then turn and head over the mountain...I almost stocked a brown trout of my own!!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Wild Day on Penns...long post

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Now that's quite the outing! Many times I have considered taking a spin and fly rod with me, but I always bail on the idea at the last minute as I move fast and hate lugging extra equipment around. Looks like it paid off here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sounds like a great outing
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM
The Man

That is certainly a day to remember! The grand slam of trout fishing, using all methods, and a bluff charge by a bear! Oh my, where you able to stay calm and continue fishing?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Part of the Community

Well done.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Location: TN,Susquehanna,Wyoming,Bradford,Lackawanna, Tioga Co, PA , Steuben Co, NY & Sevier Co TN

Once again you have wrote and depicted a great outing. Very Nice Thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Part of the Community

Way to go grousedog, unreal, you hit it at the right time. congrats on the palomino, remember you telling me you never caught one. Hate to admit it...but..... you might have to give me a couple of those spinners you make...shhhhhh!!!
ha ha.
3fs
www.mtnbrookrods.com
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 04:03 PM

I was thinking that too. The grand slam for trout with different methods. That pretty cool. Great day on Penns too man! That can be a tough place at time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Banned

Nice photos, that last bow looked fat. I used to pack a telescopic spin rod with me on brushy creeks. That's pretty wild about the bear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page