Biggest Fear? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Biggest Fear?

So what is your biggest fear while fly fishing? With that gentleman drowning last week on Penns, my wife has been all worked up about me being alone and out of cell range...blah blah blah...so last night as I was getting stuff around she is asking all those questions again and I casually mention that I am more likely to be attacked by a bear then drown in a creek I can jump across...so today I get pretty close to a momma bear and 2 cubs.

SO what is it that worries you all the most when out in the remote areas?

For me it's getting bit by a Copperhead or Rattler I think. Those Ferns make seeing the ground TOUGH!!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 AM

Re: Biggest Fear?

When i fish native streams usually in remote places first off I never fish alone. I make sure at least 1 person knows where we will be.fishing in case of a crazy accident.

I'm not afraid of snakes but a good idea is walk in the creek to avoid the ferns and grassy areas if you can.

I make sure I'm in good health. . Some of you may of seen my picturres and videos from the other day.

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm always of afraid of the shunk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My biggest fear is age at 59 1/2, no longer invincible, probably afraid of falling and breaking a leg or something of that nature and not being able to get back to civilization. Don't do as much solo fishing anymore in remote places out of cell phone reach.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 AM

When I am hiking I have this concern that I am going to run into a bear (like the one you show here) that is looking for a fight. Also, and this is kind of odd, I have a thing about being atacked by a couple dogs who are out of control.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 AM
The Man

Witches in the woods, always witches in the woods.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 AM
Banned

Getting lost can be a real adventure
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I was in college, I got pinned against a rock in a very fast section of water on the Ausable River. I've always been a strong wader, but the force of the water shoved me against a boulder and I couldn't move. Had I been alone, I might still be there.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperX2Nut
When I was in college, I got pinned against a rock in a very fast section of water on the Ausable River. I've always been a strong wader, but the force of the water shoved me against a boulder and I couldn't move. Had I been alone, I might still be there.
About ten years ago, I was fishing the South Branch of Kinzua Creek in McKean County. I was alone and was walking downstream along a right of way probably about 20 yards from the stream. Stopped dead in my tracks due to thinking I heard a voice. Upon looking around I saw nobody and started walking again. I heard it again, "Help" a little more clearly this time. Went over to the stream and had to look a little, but I found a guy pinned up under a log and some brush in the water.
He had chest waders on and no chest strap to cinch them tight. Apparently he was trying to cross the stream and the water was high and swift. He slipped on some rocks and fell in. The water caught his open chest waders and shoved him downstream against the log jam. The force of the water was such that he couldn't get up from against it. He was holding onto the log for dear life and was obviously near the point of exhaustion, not to mention just about frozen. Don't think I'll ever forget the look on his face. This guy was probably around 65-70 years old. I am 6'2" and around 260 and it took all I could muster to get this guy up out of that water. When I got him up on the bank, he just kinda collapsed, breathed heavily for a few minutes and said, "Thank God and thank you" about 100 times.
I asked him how long he was in there and he said it seemed like forever but was probably around 10 minutes. We looked around but never did find his rod. Got him back to his car and made sure he was ok to drive home. I will never forget that. Ever since then, I am EXTREMELY careful about crossing streams, especially in high water and always make sure that somebody knows where I'll be at.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM

I fish alone often. Sometimes I concealed carry, sometimes I don't Depending on when and where i'll be fishing. I often worry about surprising a bear with cubs in bear country. I think about twisting a knee / ankle, or falling and hitting my head where no one will find me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page