Wednesday's Orange Beetle Victims - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Wednesday's Orange Beetle Victims

Well I had to hit the mountain streams alone today. I was afraid Penns wouldn't fish well today, so I packed the 3 weight, the orange foam beetle and a ton of bug spray and headed for the mountains alone. Apparently 4am is too early for people who have to work in the evenings, finsfursfeathers was at a scrapbooking workshop or something and tagout had to work (who works on Wednesday's?). So I went it alone. You know you put in a good mornings fishing when it takes you about an hour to walk the road back to your car! Maybe it's a good thing 3f's didn't go...he is over the hill and I would have had to drag him back

OK enough yapping...almost enough...I was once read, maybe Gierach, that "trout live in beautiful places"...That might be the truest piece of angling literature ever penned.

The fly rod, the backpack and the sunrise:

I could have taken countless pictures of the scenery, but I was focused on fish today.

First fish of the day:

First Brown of the day:

The orange beetle doing it's work:

Largest Brookie of the day, came out of one of those "perfect spots":

He was so pretty I had to take 2 pictures:

Brown Trout (Picasa's 1960's edit):

Caught dozens of these:

Awesome spots!

Even landed this little rainbow trout...just kidding, but I never caught a Red-Sided Dace. Wonder where they get their name from?

Nicest Brown of the day:

All told I landed 30-40 trout, lost a few really good ones, missed a bunch of fish, watched a buck drinking out of the stream, heard countless warblers singing, saw at least 9 Whip-poor-wills in the headlights and heard several calling before light, hiked nearly 7 miles total (which was tough b/c I think I broke my little toe at some point...no, seriously), and I made a few new fishing buddies...I ran into them just after daylight along the stream but I couldn't see them, but, just as I was leaving in my vehicle they crossed the road in front of me!

It was a momma and 2 cubs, one of which was cinnamon but it stayed in the brush.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 AM

Re: Wednesday's Orange Beetle Victims

Great photography. Really great
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Location: TN,Susquehanna,Wyoming,Bradford,Lackawanna, Tioga Co, PA , Steuben Co, NY & Sevier Co TN

Beautiful pics of a wonderful day on the stream. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Part of the Community

ARRRRGHHHH. .. ha ha , Couldn't make it today, and I see with the pics your rubbing it in pretty good awesome day grousedog.... scrapbooking... haaaaaa.... I have to see my wife every once in awhile.... she had the phone with your text of the bear today, and of course she asked the question "soooo I bet you would have rather been fishing wouldn't ya"... so how the (censored)do ya answer that one....
seriously though great pics and the plop of the good ol orange foam beetle smacked em again
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

For that, "who works on Wednesdays" comment, I am spitting on your burger on Sunday! Or better yet, I might just marinate it with a little Tinks 69! Or use your 3 weight for skewers!

Hopefully we can figure something out though so Dad, you and I can get out for something since our river trip has been washed out this rain
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

got a link to the beetle patter? Looks like it is big and is unsinkable, which is exactly what I have found I like in a brookie fly lol.

Congrats on the fish! Awesome pictures
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

Nevermind, I looked it up online and tied a few up. What are you using for dubbing? I used a black ice chenille but im not sure how its gonna work
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

I tie in the orange foam first and then I tie in 3-4 peacock herls and and wrap them 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the hook shank and tie them in. Then I tie in 2-3 rubber legs and fold the foam over and tie down. Then trim up the head and tie off. I am sure there are better ways to do it, but that is the easiest and best way I have found. I have tried dubbing, but I think the herl looks more like the underside of a beetle then dubbing does.

I am sure there are lots of better ways to do it, but I am comfortable with this way.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page