Fly rod length - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Fly rod length

Looking to buy a new fly rod. I have the reel with 5wt. floating line. I was looking to buy an 8ft. rod that would use the 5wt. line. All that I can find on the internet are 9ft. or 8' 6" Does it really matter. I will be fishing medium size streams for trout, some panfish ( maybe some steelhead fishing ) My old rod was an 8' fiberglass. Getting older and decided to go lighter with graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 AM

Re: Fly rod length

I like longer rods. Keeps more line off the water when nymphing. They can be cumbersome in tight quarters or on small native streams. Try to pick a length to suit the style of fishing you do most.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 AM
Part of the Community

If you want to use this rod for steelhead, the longer the better. I use a 10' for local trout except on the real small streams. In NY for steel, I use an 11.5' rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i take my 10' 4wt rod just about everywhere i fish.... once u get use to it u can fish it anywhere mostly...i just got my 10' 3wt in last week and i really like it so far
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM

I build rods and I have a lot of inquiries about 10'+ rods for mostly nymphing. you really cant go wrong as long as the reel balances itself correctly with the rod its on.

I used to load up a reel with line and take it to a fly rod dealer and put it on numerous size rods to see what the balance is like. THen I start there

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangler2k3
I build rods and I have a lot of inquiries about 10'+ rods for mostly nymphing. you really cant go wrong as long as the reel balances itself correctly with the rod its on.

I used to load up a reel with line and take it to a fly rod dealer and put it on numerous size rods to see what the balance is like. THen I start there
thats a very good piece of advice, trying to czech or high stick with a tip heavy rod will kill you arm...alot of people over size there reel on a 10' rod to get the balance correct
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Strut,
The length of your Fly Rod has more to due with the size of the streams you mostly like to fish, our medium size streams here in Potter/Tioga are pretty fair size and your
8', 5 WGT rod would be ideal, however I like a 4 WGT longer rod 8 1/2' - 10' for Pine Creek especially on the large riffle waters. All these Rods are slow action for casting big Parachute Drakes on light 6x/7x constant tapered leaders.
Now on the Brookie steams I use my F.E. Thomas 7' 4 WGT Bamboo Fly Rod most of the time, unless I am in the head waters where I use my Bamboo 5 1/2' 3/4 WGT J.D. Wagner,
also slow action. What you will find is that having different Fly Rods for different size streams makes Fly Fishing very enjoyable. My other recommendation is to invest in a quality zero drag Fly Reel for each of your different size Fly Rods.
Have fun fishing with your new rod!
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
The Man

9' 5 wt is the best all around rod in my opinion. stiff enough to fight chrome, and not to long on tighter quarters. Attackone suggest a 10' 4 wt and I am glad i went with his advice. Makes nymphing pretty easy with keeping line off of the water and detecting more strikes, that being said i rarely fish tight quarters or brookie water.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:58 PM

bowmike,
You should be way past the cheating stage by now! I do however agree with you about longer rods, even for casting big drys.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackone
Quote:
Originally Posted by spangler2k3

thats a very good piece of advice, trying to czech or high stick with a tip heavy rod will kill you arm...alot of people over size there reel on a 10' rod to get the balance correct
Yes, I've done this with my 10' 4 weight, it's a good idea to do.

pullin strings, flingin flies and scraping stones...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page