Cabela's Wind River Combo - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Cabela's Wind River Combo

Anyone have any experience with this combo? Good? Bad? They have them on clearance right now and I was wondering if this would be a good entry level set up? I was thinking about the 7'6" 4wt. I recently fished with a 7'6" 3 wt for my first fly fishing attempt and found it easy to use and more managable in the small stream I fish. I don't want to dump a ton of money into a set up until I decide if I'll stick with it or not.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM
The Man

Re: Cabela's Wind River Combo

7'-6" is a little short but if you are only fishing a small stream and don't plan on branching out its not a bad choice IMO. Cabelas has one of the best warranties, and customer service out there as well. I belive thier drag systems are decent but that was with the RLS model that a buddy of mine had.

not a bad choice if you are going to stick to small streams but if you feel you are going to fish larger streams as well i would suggest a 9' rod, so you wont have to pick up another rod later. It is doable to fish a small stream with the longer rod but becomes annoying if you set the hook and miss and have to keep untangling your rod. As long as you can cast it, and if feels good then I say go for it.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I have one of those wally world Martin combos that is an 8'6" 6wt. Its the one I messed around on ponds with. So, I do have a bigger set up for bigger water should I ever need it. I even found the old 9' steel flyrod my dad had bought at an auction 35 years ago hanging up in the corner of his garage. I'm not sure of the line weight but it has an old Cortland reel on it. Most of the streams I fish aren't very wide, 20-30 ft across at the widest points. I really liked the 3wt rod my buddy leant me a couple weeks ago when I took him to my camp.( 7'6" TFO Lefty Kreh series rod and orvis reel.) The length and weight seemed a good fit and easy to use. The reviews on the Cabelas combos are good and it comes with everything I'll need to get started (except for ear hair nymphs. Got to have those ear hair nymphs). This combo is pretty close size wise to the one I borrowed from my buddy. He's letting me use it again this weekend when I go up to camp for my bday/father's day trip so I'll pay more attention to positives and negatives of the rod's length.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned

Normally I would advise not to buy a combo because you tend to get cheated on the reel. I looked at this combo and the reel looks much better than I'd imagined. For one thing it's not plastic, it's cast-aluminum with a V-cut spool. That plus it's pre-spooled and a storage bag, looks like a great deal.

When I bought my St. Croix 7'6" 4wt combo I got a great rod and a not so great reel which I eventually replaced, at that time it cost me $140 for the combo, add another $50 for the reel which I bought later, twice what you'd be spending here.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I decided "what the heck" and pulled the trigger on it. Should be here in a few days. If I get it by Friday I'll be able to fish with it this weekend. I told my wife thanks for the birthday present. She's a good present picker-outer.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
I decided "what the heck" and pulled the trigger on it. Should be here in a few days. If I get it by Friday I'll be able to fish with it this weekend. I told my wife thanks for the birthday present. She's a good present picker-outer.
I think you'll like it. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't fish bigger water & will not be happy with it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

I just got the Cahill combo a few weeks ago. It was on sale for $39. I am a newbie but so far it does its job.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I bought the reel last year when it was on sale for $20. It is a very nice reel and the drag is decent. However, it is very touchy. There really is no happy medium. It is either too loose or too tight. It would be a good reel for larger fish but anything in the 0-15" range is impossible to adjust for for the drag to actually work. That said, I would buy another in a heartbeat for the price.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Banned

"Don't let anyone tell you that you can't fish bigger water"

Well he did say it was the 7'6" 4wt, I wouldn't take it out on the Lehigh River, I tried that once, never again
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Part of the Community

Beware of the man that owns only one fly rod, he likely can use it well.
No worries I use a 7'9" 4 wt for 90% of my fishing in PA. I also use the wind river reel on my 6 wt for bass with no issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in