Quality Fly Fishing Equipment at low Cost - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quality Fly Fishing Equipment at low Cost

Ladies & Gentlemen,
The Cost of good Fly Fishing equipment today has jumped
up and getting started can be costly, if you are not careful. Especially if you want a good slow action Graphite Fly Rod & a decent zero drag, adjustable Fly Reel. I recently picked up a old (Made in America) Mitchell 300 Series 9', 4 WGT Graphite Fly Rod, in perfect shape, to be used on the bigger stretches of Pine Creek, I then purchased a new 4/5 WGT CDM Fly Reel, and some Eagle Claw WFF, 4 WGT Fly Line & some leader.
Old Michell Graphite Rod - $10.00 From the Antique/Fishing Store in Gaines, Pa
New CDM Fly Reel - $33.00 Antique/Fishing Store Gaines, Pa
Eagle Claw WFF Fly Line - $20.00 Antique.Fishing Store Gaines, Pa
LDR - $ 3.99 Fishing Store in Wellsboro, Pa
Total -$66.99
For a beginner or an experienced Fly Fisherman looking to
keep the cost down, and still have decent quality equipment
to fish with, it's still possible. My father payed more than this for my original rod, reel & line in the 50's.

Pine Creek/Dave

Tested the 4 WGT Rod & Reel out on Pine Creeks big water behind the Ruff Cut Lodge last night, catching numerous nice trout, no Orvis Graphite Fly Rod ever thru better line, and for a lot less money. I may however put a 5 WFF line on it,
Mitchell's old slow action Graphite Fly Rods cast better, with one size heavier line on them.

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

Re: Quality Fly Fishing Equipment at low Cost

I can honestly say I've never seen a grip like that on a fly rod before, surely must feel different than cork, better? or just different?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM

My Martin 6wt has a foam grip as well. Cheaper than cork I suppose.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:02 PM
The Man

Can you tell us more about the Antique/Fishing Store in Gaines, Pa? The name and location of it?

It sounds like a fun place to visit the next time I get up that way.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

troutbert,
The Mitchell Store is right on Rt #6 on the left heading toward Galeton from Gaines just before Rods County Line Best Buy building supply, which is on the right side of Rt #6 at the Potter/Tioga County line.
They are just starting with their sporting good section of their store, they do have a decent fly supply already, some Fly Rods and lures & Rods for the spin guys also.
Picked up some WFF #5 Cortland line yesterday afternoon, for very reasonable money.
Myrons hours are normally Thursday thru Sunday 9AM - 5PM, however he has been there most all week this summer except Monday, when he does his purchasing and Bill paying. The guys who own the place are good mountain people, their father just retired and the boys now control the business.
Phone number at the business is 814-435-8276.
It is a fun place no doubt about it, visit when you can.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Henry,
It's an old 4 WGT, 9' slow action, Mitchell 300 Series Graphite Fly Rod, at the time one of the most modern Fly Rods of it's type, the synthetic grip makes the rod very easy to use. It surprised me big time for throwing very large #4 3x long Parachute Drakes, and with a big fish on the old Mitchell Fly Rod does a great job. I stole this Mitchell Fly Rod for $10.00 no doubt about it. I have a slow action Graphite 7 piece, 4/5 WGT Hardy Smuggler that is worth a small fortune, and this old Mitchell throws flys almost as well, and man that is very impressive to me. Now I actually own 2 Synthetic Fly Rods, my Father, Grandfather and Great Grandfather are turning over in their graves, this is a Bamboo Fly Rod family.
Pine Creek/Dave

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Buckethead,
No fast lane this year!
Pine Creek/Dave

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 PM

I got to looking at that old steel flyrod my dad bought at an auction about 35 years ago. Here, its a 4 piece Bristol, patent date 1907. The handle reverses to be used as either a spin outfit or fly outfit. The caps are held on by small brass screws. Right now, its set up to spin fish. I'll have to get my small screw drivers out and reverse it. It has an old Cortland reel but I don't know the model of it. My buddy had some 5wt line laying around so he spooled it up for me. He said it casts pretty good.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Part of the Community

I used to hunt small game with my old Mossburg bolt action 20 gauge that cost me about $30 when I bought it new, while my best friend hunted beside me with his Browning Superposed that cost him many $100's more. At the end of the day, we both usually had just about the same amount of game.

These days, I never step in the river without holding a fly rod and reel that cost me well over $1000 to purchase, and if you and I fished side by side it's likely that we'd also likely end up faring comparably if we were to measure our success by the number of fish hooked and landed, or by the fun we had fishing together that day.

Your story just goes to show that success in fishing, as in life itself, is never a function of the amount of money one earns or spends. At the end of the day you can get as just as much out of things regardless of whether you spend $30 or $3 million.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Neat outfit there! It will do the job as well as anything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page