Pine Creek Fly Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Pine Creek Fly Fishing

Gentlemen & Ladies,
If you have not had the chance this season to enjoy
Potter/Tioga and Pine Creek, try to make it up, the fly fishing is exceptional right now, and the weather is beautiful.
Pine Creek/Dave

This large Brownie has a #8, 3x long Coffin fly in her mouth, it gives you an idea of how big this Brownie really is,
she was returned to the stream as usual.

We do have some serious Brookies also

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Location: TN,Susquehanna,Wyoming,Bradford,Lackawanna, Tioga Co, PA , Steuben Co, NY & Sevier Co TN
Re: Pine Creek Fly Fishing

Looks like a good time Dave wish I was there
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pine-Creek, point me in a general area and I would love to get into something other than our stocked trout here. not that they aren't fun to catch, but i would love to take a road trip to some good fly fishing. looks like a 3-4 hour drive from here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Banned

Just curious, what time of the evening did that brownie take the coffin fly?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Part of the Community

Way to go, nice pics. All the years I lived in Waterville never ventured up that high on Pine Creek. Fished the canyon but always hung around Waterville up to slate run.
Nice Brownie....
3fs
www.mtnbrookrods.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Henry,
Around 9:15 PM, almost dark at the time. Had a great hatch of sulphurs and returning Coffin Flies mixed in sparsely. It was a great evening, the big fish were moving around feeding on the Coffin Flies at will.
It's great to catch Stream Born Brownies, and Native Brookies in the same stream, with some Rainbows mixed in
also. Now don't get me wrong this is a tough stream to fish, hatches are the key. I have been Fly Fishing Pine and its feeders for over 50 years now, there are nights that it is not for a rookie that is for sure, and I like it that way. Taught two men this week how to Fly Fish Pine Creek with big Drakes and slow action Fly Rods, using 6X Constant Tapered Leaders 9' to 15' in length. Using this technique you must learn how to time cast, kick casting only messes up the leader when using big size #8 and size #6 Parachute Drakes. It's a learning experience no doubt about it.
The big Brownies and Brookies come to the big Drakes. Our family has been Fly Fishing in this manner with our Bamboo Fly Rods, for many many generations, here on Pine Creek. My nephue Brian is becoming quite good at it now, he is in his late 20's, and had a great week last week, catching some real nice fish.
When my brother Kurt and his son Brian drop me their pictures I will post a few.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pa Native Brook Trout, God's most beautiful fish.

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Black Powder,
Its's getting a little late in the season, however if you would like to come up and learn to dry fly Fish like we do, drop me some private mail and we will invite you up to fish with us.
Pine Creek/Dave

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Fin,
Nice fishing down your way also, say hello to Tom for me, at the Slate run shop.
Pine Creek/Dave

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,
If you have never been to Pine Creek in Potter/Tioga
and done a little Fly Fishing, take time to experience
God's Country for your self, we call it God's Country Cause it is.
Pine Creek/Dave

Fly Fishing for Wild Brookies on a beautiful Potter County Creek, something to remember for the rest of your life.
I could have picked any where in the world to live, as I retired from the US Army CID, I chose to come home to Potter/Tioga, where I was born. There is no place more beautiful on God's earth, to live and enjoy the great outrdoors.
I thank God and my family every day I get to be home in my Pa Endless Mountains. I hope every member of this forum gets to experience my way of life at least one time. Our family tradition runs long on Fly Fishing & Grouse Hunting,
in God's Pa mountains. A way of life like no other. I am rich beyond my immagination.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
The Man

The first fish looks more like a rainbow. We've gone through all the decent big flies now and we are on to Sulphers on First Fork.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page