First timer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

First timer

Well, I finally gave fly fishing for trout a shot this past weekend. I had messed around with a flyrod in the past but it was on ponds for panfish and it usually resulted in me getting myself tangled in flyline or the wind blowing the fly back and burying it in the crown of my head.

My buddy has flyfished all over the country and even did some guiding in his younger days. He's been bugging me to try it so I took him to my camp this past weekend. He hooked me up with a nice little 7.5 ft 3 wt Lefty Kreh series rod and some hare's ear nymphs (I kept calling them "ear hair" nymphs because it really seemed to annoy him. You flyfishing guys can be so uptight ) Well, anyway, I missed one on the first cast and caught two on my next two casts. He told me, "you got it, I'll see ya later" and we split up. I have to admit I had a ball. I caught around 30 fish and missed countless others. We fished Spring Creek mainly near my camp and my buddy really liked the stream. Nice scenery and a good amount of fish to be had. Ran into a few other guys and got a kick out of the look on their faces when they asked what I was using and I told them "some bug looking thing". (Seriously, some of you fly guys need to lighten up ) Later that day, we fished a branch of the Tionesta near Sheffield. My biggest fish was a 15" brown. I was having so much fun it never occurred to me to take any pictures. Well, the last fish of the day was also the prettiest so I snapped a pic. A pretty brookie caught on an "ear hair" nymph.

And to top it off, I never once got tangled up in line and didn't bury the fly in the crown of my head or any other part of my body for that matter.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: First timer

welcome to the addiction
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

I went out this weekend with my new fly rod as well. I also am a first timer.

I fished that little pond you told me about. I caught over 50 bluegill and a few bass. I was using some old nose hair flies. Had a great time.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

my story is similar to yours. when my grandfather passed away in 1989, I got both his fly rods. one is a 9' 8wt and made in the mid 60's and the other is a 8' 5wt made in the late 40's/early 50's. over the last 20+ years I have dabbled in fishing with the 5wt in my pond and had it out trout fishing a few times. a couple of friends tied me some "woolly buggers" and that was all I ever had for flies. this year I decided to go "all in" and bought a 7' Shakespeare 3-4wt wondorod that was made in October of 1957(which is when I was born!) and I have been having the time of my life trout fishing. I hooked up with a guy at work that knows what he is doing and he has been helping me with getting set up with the right flies. I have found that buying flies is an addiction. just can't seem to have enough! my area is mostly stocked trout, but I have been doing well catching them in areas that are hit hard by everyone else. sure would like to take off to an area like you where at and get into some native trout. I really enjoy using the old classic rods, it takes me back in time to the way that things used to be. good luck all and keep the stories and pictures coming.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM
The Man

Tater, dont worry you soon wont have to use nose hair flies, and let me know if you run out, Ill hook you up with the HPA MOD STAFF discount

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page