Help with fly rod please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Help with fly rod please

I am in the market for a new fly rod. I am over my beginner rod and ready to move onto a better more advanced rod. Ill be able to spend 200 to 225 either for a nice advanced combo rod or a rod alone depending on my options. I looked at the rio santo rod but did not care for the reel. Ill want a 9 ft 5 wt for trout on bigger creeks and steelhead. I could use any help from fellow fly fisherman. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Help with fly rod please

I would suggest you cast a few different rods and buy what feels best to you. Dont go by what someone else likes. Some people like slower action rods, some like faster actions.

Good luck, Tony
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Go to an Orvis shop in August and get their closeout rods. You can get a $300 rod for $175 to $200. If you do make a rookie mistake, all you do is pay for shipping ($20) and you get a new rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 AM

TFO makes some really nice rods and they are not too expensive

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Where can I cast the rods at? Is there any " legendary" small fly shops in sw or central pa? I also have a camp up around potter co
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 AM
Banned

You should be able to find plenty of fly shops around camp in Potter County. I would throw in a plus for St. Croix rods, I love my St. Croix 4wt. I would however be very wary of combos, many of the combos feature a good rod but less than great reel. Reddington makes good rods too and very reasonably priced, but their combos feature reels that I consider to be junk. Sometimes you can find good deals on Ebay.

I'd try out a few rods and find one that you really like, then shop for a decent reel. Okuma makes some good quality fly reels with good drag that you will use for Steelhead, not sure where you're used to fishing but I wouldn't tackle a steelhead with anything less that a 6wt. and I'd be worry about breaking that, 8wt. is what I would choose for steelies. A 6wt. is the most versatile as you probably already know, go for the 5wt. if you're set on that for trout.

You might also consider saving some money for decent line, I bought my first high quality fly line last spring and it has made a huge difference for me, but right now I'm using a $150 outfit with $80 line, I like it though. Really, you can never have too many fly rods.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby
I would suggest you cast a few different rods and buy what feels best to you. Dont go by what someone else likes. Some people like slower action rods, some like faster actions.

Good luck, Tony
The best advice. Buy the best rod that is suited to your casting style, and suits 80%+ of your fishing situations. One rod won't fit all situations. If you have to buy only one rod, be sure it will fit 80% of the fishing that you do. (the 80-20 rule). Other wise cut your per rod budget in half and buy 2 rods. (i.e. 7'-6" 4 weight for smaller streams and a 9' 5 weight.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

if 1 rod could fit all casting styles and fishing situations then comanies would only make 1 rod, but alas they don't. too many people think the more a rod costs the better it must be. that may be true but the best rod for you is the 1 that feels best when YOU cast it not me or the other guy or even the famous guy on TV. it has to be right for you. granted 1 rod may cast well for many styles of casters but you won't know if it will cast well for you until you try it. most shops will allow you to lawn cast rods. some even have rental programs. try as many as you can before making the jump. most reels are for holding line so don't go overboard on a reel; that is until you get to be a gear junkie. and get good line, it does not have to be $80 to be good. cortland 444 as a great line for the money, also hook and hackle has store brand that is very good 2, i have a few of theirs and really like them. also check out this site for clearance items

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

RIZ
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 PM
The Man

A 9 foot, 5 weight rod is good for trout, both in PA and the west.

But it's very light for steelhead.

A 9 ft, 7 wt. would be good for steelhead and smallmouth and largemouth bass fishing.

Regarding rod brands and models, there are many good ones to choose from in that price range. St. Croix and Redington are two I'd check out.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

what kind of fishing are u planning on doing with it, mainly nymphing, dry fly etc...that would be the firs thing i would look at

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page