Trout streamer recommendation - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Update:

I made up some Micky Finns, but I didn't have any yellow bucktail. So, I substituted white bucktail. My question to you streamer users is this: Will using white instead of yellow with the red make a huge difference?

I also tied some Seasoned Geezer rabbit zonker streamers that really look promising. Anybody have any success with that for trout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:45 AM
The Man

The Zonker type streamers are top notch.

The rabbit strips provide a lot of movement in the water which is very attractive to fish.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Rust-colored wolly buggers are great in any stream that has crayfish in it. Tie them as small as 10, as big as 4. If you get a pack of wolly buggers from Walmart that has the rust colored one in it, try to mimic that. They are the best I have ever used as far as wolly buggers go. They are tied with the hackle wrapped like a wet fly hackle around the hook eye rather than wrapped up the body. Purple has also been a great color for me, especially on stocked fish. Never tried tying muddler minnows, but I've used them quite a bit to great effect. I used to go up to the Stonycreek in Shanksville near Glessner's bridge and not catch a fish, but as soon as I started fishing those rusty buggers I started killing it up there.
bigguy54 likes this.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

That's good to hear, guys. All my rabbit pelts are that rusty red color and I've tied a bunch of zonker patterns with them. I'm looking forward to fishing season.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:53 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsniffer View Post
Update:

I made up some Micky Finns, but I didn't have any yellow bucktail. So, I substituted white bucktail. My question to you streamer users is this: Will using white instead of yellow with the red make a huge difference?

I also tied some Seasoned Geezer rabbit zonker streamers that really look promising. Anybody have any success with that for trout?
Back in the day of my youth, I only remember one stream where I did well with the Mickey Finn. It was devastating though. I think that yellow/orange color was a thing for that particular stream, so I have no idea if going with white will make a difference for you.

Iíve used some zonker type streamers that I tied with maribou. I didnít catch many trout, but I caught eleventy tons of chain pickerel with them.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have had some success to report. Spent one day on a stream last week and started out with a rabbit zonker streamer. Caught several brookies so never tied on anything else. It wasn't exactly a trout slaying day, but these were the first trout I've caught on my own tied flies, in spite of the high water, and there is a great deal of satisfaction in that. "Thank you" to the guys who steered me in the right direction. My rod-reel-line outfit is dirt bottom economy grade but I'm having fun. What played another big part of the fun of the day is that I only ran into one other fisherman, another old retired geezer like me, and we had a very pleasant conversation. What a diametrically opposite experience this was from trying to fish flat water for trout with all the associated greed hounds. I didn't land a boatload of fish but it was one of the most enjoyable days fishing that I've ever had.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 PM

I'll be honest, I never had big ticket fly gear and I've always enjoyed fishing on whatever I could get hold of. The rod that catches fish is the best rod IMO. One could argue that high money gear can, in some situations, make it easier to catch them, but... eh. Fishing is great not because of the gear, but because of the experience of being on the water and knowing that you have the passion to succeed. At least that's how I see it.
bigguy54 and seekeroftyngmat like this.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:34 PM
New Arrival

Here is a favorite of mine.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsniffer View Post
I have had some success to report. Spent one day on a stream last week and started out with a rabbit zonker streamer. Caught several brookies so never tied on anything else. It wasn't exactly a trout slaying day, but these were the first trout I've caught on my own tied flies, in spite of the high water, and there is a great deal of satisfaction in that. "Thank you" to the guys who steered me in the right direction. My rod-reel-line outfit is dirt bottom economy grade but I'm having fun. What played another big part of the fun of the day is that I only ran into one other fisherman, another old retired geezer like me, and we had a very pleasant conversation. What a diametrically opposite experience this was from trying to fish flat water for trout with all the associated greed hounds. I didn't land a boatload of fish but it was one of the most enjoyable days fishing that I've ever had.
Good stuff! Keep it going.

It is fun to catch trout with flies you tied yourself.

Besides streamers, you should also tie some basic nymphs.

For a very simple, and very effective nymph, check out the "Beadhead Walts Worm."

If you Google that, and hit Images, you will see some photos of them.

One of the images is from the fly shop Flyfishers Paradise. Tie them like that. That's how they were tied by the originator, Walt Young, when he worked at that shop.

It's just a brass or copper colored bead, and some tannish-brownish Hares Ear fur. That's it. Very easy to tie.

I mostly use size 14 and 16. And sometimes size 12. And rarely size 10.

If the water is high and off color and moving fast, use a bigger one. If the water is slower and clearer, use a smaller one.
RyanR likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Collin View Post
Oh yes, that's a good one that I've had particular success with up your way in NY.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page