Wyoming fishing trip - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Wyoming fishing trip

This summer I’m taking my family out to Wyoming for what I’m hoping to be an epic family vacation. We have rented a cabin on the Northfork of the Shoshone River for 9 nights the first week of August. We are near Wapiti WY which is near the east entrance of Yellowstone and just west of Cody WY. We will be riding horse and mule 4 of those days into the backcountry to fish mountain streams and look for sheds. We also plan on fishing at the cabin on the Shoshone in our “downtime”.

I’m just now starting to do my research as to the tackle and hatches we can expect to encounter then. Right now me and my boys...16 and 12...have 7’6” 5weights. That combo will likely be light for the big water and big fish of the Shoshone but I think will be good in the mountains. I really don’t want to buy (3) new rigs for bigger water and will likely just deal with being undersized.

My boys also tie some of their own flys and I think it would be great if they could tie something and catch on it on this trip.

Any tips/thoughts/comments or possible fly patterns to pay attention to? Also we will all be carrying bear spray too as the area is thick with Grizzlies. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 PM
The Man

Stimulators, with yellow bodies. Size 14.

Bring LOTS of those.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Stimulators, Elk Hair Caddis, Hoppers, Various foam flies i.e all the Chernobyl ant variables, also beadhead nymphs will catch a ton of fish.....Sounds like a great trip My dad and I will be in that area a few weeks later than you.....You are correct about your rods they'll be fine on the headwater streams but a bit short on the bigger rivers but I think you'll be able to manage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

There are also a number of fly shops in Cody that will help you out with the "hot" flies when you get there
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 PM

You can do well in the smaller streams with ants, deer-hair beetles and hoppers in late summer. Don't be afraid to slap them on the water to simulate them falling in.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Part of the Community

Make sure you and your boys know how to use that bear spray, and practice using it before going, if youíre able.

As far as flies, my #1 go to fly all summer in the Yellowstone area is a size #16 Parachute Adams. I donít get over to the Cody area much these days, but Iíve spent the past 18 summers on the Yellowstone a few miles north of the Park, and fish many of the regionís waters from May to October. All of the other flies already mentioned are also good suggestions and will work well. Iíd also want to have some rusty spinner patterns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page