Little Schuylkill - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Little Schuylkill

I am looking to check out this stream this Spring . Anyone have experience or a tip where to access . All catch and release for me . Thanks , Finn.

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:30 PM

Finn,

Lots of stocked fishable water through the whole river, but there is a nice delayed harvest section from New Ringgold bridge down a couple miles to the Rausch's bridge that makes a good starting point. There is a partially paved/ partially dirt road that parallels it for the most part.

It's been many years since I've fished it but there was a time when I knew every rock and trout by name as I fished it almost every evening. I actually fished the delayed harvest section the day it quietly opened as a new special regs area about 20 years ago.....never saw another person that day.
There is a large deep riprap banked hole about 1/3 of the way down that makes a nice starting point up or downstream........or drive to the lower bridge and fish up (You can walk the railroad tracks back down at the end of the evening)
Stand on the bridge and watch the water for a while.....

Go in late May.....hatches aren't heavy due to the years of abuse (maybe that's improved?) but it held a decent sporadic sulphur and always caddis bopping around. I could always count on a dozen or so fish every evening to dry flies.
If you go earlier in the season around stocking time, fish the usual stocked trout searcher flies..... glo bugs, green weenies, wooly buggers etc. If you use wooly buggers don't be shocked by a smallmouth bass. I caught some nice ones there right alongside the trout.

I remember the water turning as purple as grape soda one day while I was fishing.......there was some upstream dye operation that had a spill of some sort. I remember catching fish rising in purple water!

Good luck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Matt . Being from Harrisburg the stream is only about an hour away . Looking forward to Spring , as I am sure you are as well . Best of luck this year , sir .

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I live a short drive south of New Ringgold.

Iíve promised myself each spring I will start fly fishing again.

Maybe this is the year...?

Let me know if you want company to check out the Little Schuylkill.

Iíve fished it a lot, but not in the last 10 years.
Finn Anthony likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page