Newb help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By kudu58
  • 1 Post By TurkeyMike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Newb help

My son is going to Yellowstone next summer and plans on doing some fishing. He recently rec'd a fly rod as an early Xmas present and now wants me to go with him to some of the trout streams to try and get the hang of it.

We are hoping to hit some of the FF only spots after the new year. Given the weather conditions in Jan, Feb, can anyone help with some recommendations of type of fly, streamer, etc to pick up?

Any help is appreciated.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 06:40 AM
The Man

I am going to the park area for two weeks next summer. I have three recommendations for your son. One is to google the fishing regulations for the park. There are some varied and unique regulations in place.
Two is to take and use a wading staff if he is on some of the bigger waters. They flow fast as compared to around here. A fall in the wrong spot could end up bad, and I've fallen in more than once out there.
Three, get himself a magnum can of bear spray and wear it in an accessible spot. There have gotten to be quite a few griz out there and you can run into them literally anywhere. Stay alert.
There are several fly fishing shops in West Yellowstone that can be pretty helpful. If he's not opposed to some spin fishing, I like to take at least one morning or evening to fish for cutthroats in the lake also.

I am certain that he will enjoy himself. Best of luck.
Takemrarely likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:12 PM
New Arrival

If you are going this late in the season (January), I've had some success with small black and green Wooly Buggers at that time. Strangely I also used small copper creepers (size 18) in later months and also picked some up. A friend likes to switch to muddler minnows in late season as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 PM

My recommendation is to avoid FF only streams that are stocked, and make sure you're on a stream with a wild trout population(preferably a limestone spring fed stream). Nymphs- Hares ear, pheasant tails, sowbugs, scuds. Black and olive streamers....the usual stuff.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Has he fly fished before? If not I would skip the fishing and learn to cast. Proper form is so important.

For Yellowstone, Slough creek is one of the best. If youre into hiking, go back to the 2nd and 3rd meadow. And be prepared for griz encounters.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

+1 on Kudu's tips....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
I am going to the park area for two weeks next summer. I have three recommendations for your son. One is to google the fishing regulations for the park. There are some varied and unique regulations in place.
Two is to take and use a wading staff if he is on some of the bigger waters. They flow fast as compared to around here. A fall in the wrong spot could end up bad, and I've fallen in more than once out there.
Three, get himself a magnum can of bear spray and wear it in an accessible spot. There have gotten to be quite a few griz out there and you can run into them literally anywhere. Stay alert.
There are several fly fishing shops in West Yellowstone that can be pretty helpful. If he's not opposed to some spin fishing, I like to take at least one morning or evening to fish for cutthroats in the lake also.

I am certain that he will enjoy himself. Best of luck.
Kudos to Kudu58 on the tips. Remember that there are trout in EVERY stream in Montana and Yellowstone. Pay attention to your surroundings- IF you smell garbage- there's probably a grizzly close enough for you to be concerned enough to move away from there. I believe the fly shops rent cans of bear spray, as I don't think you're permitted to take them on the plane. Wading staff I highly second that emotion as it's always helpful to ward off ankle breaking boulders- or bears!

Lamar & Soda Butte are 2 other good streams to fish near Slough, IF you're planning to (and should) stay overnight in the park. It takes you about 40 +/- miles just to get to Slough, @ 25 mph plus stops for animal sightings/picture taking, if coming in from Gardner. My son and I got to the camping area on Slough too late 1 afternoon to reserve a campsite, so we ended up sleeping in the van overnight right at the campground. Park Rangers forbid anyone from just pulling over anywhere in the park on the side of the road, so be mindful of that.

By all means, enjoy yourselves, take lots of pictures and make sure you stop at Yellowstone Falls! It's absolutely spectacular! Better than Niagara Falls, b/c it's all still in it's primitive state!

Joe

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 AM
The Man

I'm not sure of your level of experience in fly fishing, but I would suggest you practice a bit in the yard with casting, practice with branches above you, practice casting under branches. If you go straight to the stream you may end up losing a lot of flies and be discouraged right off the bat.

I am a die hard winter fly fisherman. Here are some things I suggest you do before you go out, and some gear choices you may want to include.
1) Eat a decent meal before you go out. It will help you keep warm as the digestion process creates heat and body warmth.
2) Dress warm. Pay special attention to your feet and hands. These two can really end your time on the water quick if they are cold.
3) Pack a spare change of clothes.
4) only fish small sections of stream at a time. If you have to go back to the car and move it up stream, then walk back. This will keep you moving and help you stay warm but also, can really help out if you fall in. Safety is a number one concern.

Other gear choices:
1) hot hands
2) rubber gloves, these can make it easier to keep your hands dry.
3) chapstick, for you lips and also your guides. can help keep them from freezing up.
4) balaclava or neck gator, keeping the wind off of your neck can really help you stay warm
5) spare reel with line. Depending on the temperature if you drop your rod in the water, the whole outfit can size up. If this happens and you have a spare reel, take the froze reel out and put it inside you jacket or something along those lines. This will also keep you on the water longer.

For Flies here is my recommendations:

nymphs: fished heavy and deep,
tungsten bead head pheasant tail size 16-14
tungsten bead head gold ribbed hares ear size 16-14
tungsten bead head zebra midge-20-16
scud-16-14
tungsten bead head caddis larva-16-12
tungsten bead head stone flies(black/gold/brown)-10-6
tungsten bead head or weighted soft hackles-14-8

attractor patterns
y2k
eggs
san juan worm
green weenie

streamers: Dead drifted or slowly stripped
heavy weighted or tungsten bead head buggers
sculpin
weighted muddler minnow

Dry flies
basic midge dry or emerger smaller sizes -24-20
little black stone fly-20-16

Most of the time if the water temp is low the fish are sluggish, you will have to put the fly right on them. A lot of my fish are picked up on dead drifts and running the seams. I find more fish anchored in slower moving pools to conserve energy. I would not go out at first light or worry about being on the stream early. I would pick up some light weight indicators like thingamabobbers to aid in detecting strikes.

If you need any help with acquiring the flies I mentioned feel free to message me. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike
Takemrarely likes this.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyMike View Post
I'm not sure of your level of experience in fly fishing, but I would suggest you practice a bit in the yard with casting, practice with branches above you, practice casting under branches. If you go straight to the stream you may end up losing a lot of flies and be discouraged right off the bat.

I am a die hard winter fly fisherman. Here are some things I suggest you do before you go out, and some gear choices you may want to include.
1) Eat a decent meal before you go out. It will help you keep warm as the digestion process creates heat and body warmth.
2) Dress warm. Pay special attention to your feet and hands. These two can really end your time on the water quick if they are cold.
3) Pack a spare change of clothes.
4) only fish small sections of stream at a time. If you have to go back to the car and move it up stream, then walk back. This will keep you moving and help you stay warm but also, can really help out if you fall in. Safety is a number one concern.

Other gear choices:
1) hot hands
2) rubber gloves, these can make it easier to keep your hands dry.
3) chapstick, for you lips and also your guides. can help keep them from freezing up.
4) balaclava or neck gator, keeping the wind off of your neck can really help you stay warm
5) spare reel with line. Depending on the temperature if you drop your rod in the water, the whole outfit can size up. If this happens and you have a spare reel, take the froze reel out and put it inside you jacket or something along those lines. This will also keep you on the water longer.

For Flies here is my recommendations:

nymphs: fished heavy and deep,
tungsten bead head pheasant tail size 16-14
tungsten bead head gold ribbed hares ear size 16-14
tungsten bead head zebra midge-20-16
scud-16-14
tungsten bead head caddis larva-16-12
tungsten bead head stone flies(black/gold/brown)-10-6
tungsten bead head or weighted soft hackles-14-8

attractor patterns
y2k
eggs
san juan worm
green weenie

streamers: Dead drifted or slowly stripped
heavy weighted or tungsten bead head buggers
sculpin
weighted muddler minnow

Dry flies
basic midge dry or emerger smaller sizes -24-20
little black stone fly-20-16

Most of the time if the water temp is low the fish are sluggish, you will have to put the fly right on them. A lot of my fish are picked up on dead drifts and running the seams. I find more fish anchored in slower moving pools to conserve energy. I would not go out at first light or worry about being on the stream early. I would pick up some light weight indicators like thingamabobbers to aid in detecting strikes.

If you need any help with acquiring the flies I mentioned feel free to message me. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike...a lot of good info here...much appreciated.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page