Montana - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Montana

A friend has invited me to join him in a trip to Rock Creek , Montana next September . I have backpacked out there on five occasions and fished the high lakes but never the streams . I believe the flight is into Missoula then a car rental . Have any of you folks had any experience there ? Sure am looking forward to it !
bigguy54 likes this.

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 07:49 AM

That's terrific, have a great time next year. I have fished the high mountain lakes and streams in Oregon and it was terrific.

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Right , Tom ! The scenery alone is worth the trip . My sister lived out there for 36 years and did not hunt nor fish ! Sadly she passed last year and is buried in sight of the Beartooth Mountains .

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM

I went to SW Montana (Big Sky area) 2 years ago in early September, which is a little south of where you will be. It wasn't strictly a fishing trip, but we did fish with a guide one day and got to drift the Madison near Ennis Lake. It was incredible! Lots of quality sized fish (14-16") with a few brutes mixed in that were willing to eat just about anything you throw at them. It's big water and fairly non-descript, so I would imagine it would be tough to wade fish, but I'd recommend looking into a float if you haven't done so already.

The place we stayed in was right on the Gallatin River and I was also able to spend some time wade fishing it on my own. It's loaded with fish, but they seemed to run on the smaller side for me. I spent most of time fishing generic nymphs with good results.

I'm sure you'll have a blast on your trip!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Rock Creek is a real gem. The further you go downstream (NW) the better it is, IMO.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks , fellas , I am sure looking forward to it . I have tied thousands of flies over the years and have to see what compares to the wild west ones !

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 AM

A #14 parachute PMD will get you through most situations.
Finn Anthony likes this.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

My wife was attending a conference out there about 8 years ago. I went along with her and we stayed in Big Sky. For one day while she was at conference, I went to local fly shop and rented waders and fishing gear. Drove down to Madison River and stopped at first pulloff I came to. Just started wading and fishing. I had fly fished before but was long time ago and my experience limited. I ended up catching about 30 trout with 2 being over 20 inches. It was spectacular.
Another day my wife and I hired a drift boat to fish the Madison. That was really cool as well. The guide was great at teaching my wife as she had never fly fished before and she ended up catching 5 fish.
Have a great time out there!

Rob
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 12:15 PM
The Man

I lived right on the Madison River for a brief while when I was younger. It can be tough to wade, but if you can't catch fish there, you can't catch fish anywhere. There is an Orvis shop in Ennis that is very helpful, usually has a chalk board out front where the local guides list what they are catching on. I used to spend a good bit of time in the Beartrap Canyon below Ennis Lake. Used to do really well on big rainbows down there. Black wooly buggers in the fall were worth their weight in gold.
You used to be able to drive the whole way down to the power station, but the last time I was there it was blocked off closer to the lake and it was walk in only from that point on.

Good luck on the trip.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks much guys !!
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page