Personal best Native this morning - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By TurkeyMike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Personal best Native this morning

I saw quite a few others and missed a few. I did see quite a few adult brookies. You never know where these little gems may be. Just stinks when you get snagged on a branch in the water, only to see a decent number or adult sized brookie scatter around. Argh! Still developing casting and such. Tried a few bow and arrow type casts. Would be laughable to most of you veteran small stream guys but it worked. LOL

When I saw that big brookie come out from under that rock and crush my fly I was more excited than any other trout I landed this year. Personal best native brookie and I'm on cloud 9. Its a different type of reading water on these little streams. I feel I am catching on though. I am having more success with streamer type flies than anything else.

I caught him on one of my coyote ugly hybrid flies I came up with one night. Neat little pattern. Sort of like a bead head soft hackle hares ear, but I reverse tied the coyote fur and gave it a collar. Has been working pretty decent. I have had a few guys say it looks like a sparrow nymph. Never heard of that pattern and was just messing around, but its hard to come up with something that no one else has. None the less that's my favorite feeling with fly fishing. Catching a trout, and today my personal best brookie, on a fly that you just thought up is by far the best feeling in fly fishing.

Probably by next week I will begin my rod building journey. My first rod I build is going to be a 7' 3wt fiberglass rod. I have all of the components and am just saving up for the rod building kit. I think it will really add to the experience catching them on a rod I built myself. I am just addicted to these little guys. But will say the biggest challenge for me is keeping them on barbless hooks. You can't really fight them like a normal stream so as your lifting them over and they shake, they throw the hook on me. Thinking a shorter leader may help with this. Right now I am just using my standard trout leader. Its a maxima syle and is about 10' long minus the fluorocarbon. Maybe having a little less line sag may also help. Any tips on that would be appreciated.

Here are some pics. I apologize for the low quality of the stream pics but it was still pretty dark, as this was a quick before work adventure. The third pic in this, is the pool that big native was in. He was under the rock on the right. Wasn't expecting him that's for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pb brookie2.jpg (73.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg PB Brookie.jpg (80.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg native2.jpg (71.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg stream5.jpg (79.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg stream4.jpg (107.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg stream2.jpg (113.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg stream1.jpg (121.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg stream3.jpg (112.8 KB, 37 views)

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:19 AM

That's a big brook trout for Pa. I've caught thousands, but 9 inches might have been the biggest.that one looks bigger than nine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I didn't measure him but looking at my hand he was close to 10" I imagine. I have caught a few in the 8 and 9" Range but never a doozie like that one. Still excited about it.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Great post Mike, thanks for sharing!!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the trophy brookie. Those small streams are some of the best fishing because of the finesse that's required.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page