Best Trout Flies for Harrisburg, York and Lancaster area streams - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LifeNRA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Best Trout Flies for Harrisburg, York and Lancaster area streams

When my uncle passed my aunt gave me all of his fishing equipmeent. Included were early 1960's Herters fly tying equipment. Needless to say I am going to start tying dry flies and nymphs. What are the favorite flies for the Harrisburg, Lancaster and York region to include sizes? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm not much of a dry fly fisher but I can tell you the standard bead head gold ribbed hairs ear and bead head pheasant tails work great. Size 12-16. I probably use these 90% of the time. I do like a the deer hair comparaduns if I'm going to throw a dry fly.

4A/5B

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:40 AM

It would take me hours to tell you all of the different flies with their recipes to use in this area. The best thing for you to do is research hatch charts for streams like the Yellow Breeches and then look up patterns of the bugs and you should be able to find plenty of patterns along with their recipes. But for starters, I would tie up some pheasant tails, hares ears, zebra midges, and maybe a simple caddis larvae. All of the recipes for these flies can be found with a simple internet search.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 04:04 AM
The Man

Start with the simplest of flies, Zebra Midge. Make them in various sizes 16 - 22, I would start out with red and black. I am self taught, I have and still use Youtube. Tightline videos is an excellent youtube channel to learn from.
Finn Anthony likes this.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:51 AM
The Man

Don't think in terms of flies for that region, because it's really not that specific to area. You just want to start out with an assortment of well known, proven standards for different conditions, such as high vs low flows, and clear water vs murky water, and cold temps vs moderate temps.

Here's a good starter selection, from the website paflyfish.com:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Dozen Top Flies by Tom "afishinado" Ciannilli
(notice I didn't say the dozen top flies...but if I had to select 12 flies, these would be in my box)

Sinking Subsurface Flies:

Wooly Bugger – Size 8 in dark olive w/ a black tail is my go-to. Having some black or white ones and a few a little smaller or bigger would be ideal. Fish anytime / anywhere – drift and/or strip.
Hares Ear Nymph – size 10 – 16 w/ and w/o beads. Natural is my favorite, but a few in olive or black would round it out. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift
Pheasant Tail Nymph – Size 12 – 16 w/ and w/o beads. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift
Green Weenie – Size 12. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift
San Juan Worm – Size 12. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift
Soft Hackle – Size 12 – 16. Pheasant tail, Partridge and Orange, Partridge and yellow, peacock to name a few popular ones. Dead drift, swing, hang or strip. All will catch fish.

Floating flies:

Blue Wing Olive (BWO)– Size 14 – 18 (early and late season mayfly hatches)
Adams – Size 10 – 18 (for dark mayflies)
Sulphur – Size 10 – 18 (mid-season light-colored mayfly hatches)
Beetle and/or Ant – Size 14 – 18 (Spring - late summer)
Griffiths Gnat - Size 18 - 22 ( For midges - very small insects - all year round)
Elk Hair Caddis – Size 10 – 18 in Tan, Black and Green for caddis hatches and/or stonefly hatches all season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 12:15 PM
The Man

All fly fishers have their favorites, but I think most would agree that's a pretty solid starting list.

Here would be my suggested changes to the list:

To simplify even more, I think a beginner could drop the Griffiths Gnat. Most beginners won't be fishing the small midges.

Also, instead of Adams, I suggest the Parachute Adams. Both are good, but I think the Parachute Adams is better. Because parachute style dry flies work well in both flat, slow water, and in fast, broken water.

Also, in some of the dry fly patterns such as Adams, Sulphur, and Elk Hair Caddis, he's suggesting sizes 10 -18. While it's good to have a wide range of sizes, concentrate more on the mid range, i.e. the 12, 14, and 16 sizes. And especially sizes 14 and 16. Because that is what you will actually be using the most.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:28 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
All fly fishers have their favorites, but I think most would agree that's a pretty solid starting list.

Here would be my suggested changes to the list:

To simplify even more, I think a beginner could drop the Griffiths Gnat. Most beginners won't be fishing the small midges.

Also, instead of Adams, I suggest the Parachute Adams. Both are good, but I think the Parachute Adams is better. Because parachute style dry flies work well in both flat, slow water, and in fast, broken water.

Also, in some of the dry fly patterns such as Adams, Sulphur, and Elk Hair Caddis, he's suggesting sizes 10 -18. While it's good to have a wide range of sizes, concentrate more on the mid range, i.e. the 12, 14, and 16 sizes. And especially sizes 14 and 16. Because that is what you will actually be using the most.

Troutbert nailed it with both replies. I would add in some caddis larva and call it a day.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:46 AM

All have been good patterns over the years . Don't discount the tremendous success of streamers as well . A muddler minnow , Black Nosed Dace and squirrel Tails are very effective on the Breeches and for sure Muddy Creek in southern York County . Sounds like you have a great hobby in retirement . I came upon a similar deal in 1962 as my dad piled the fly tying equipment on a table and said to learn to tie some flies . Of course he had no clue but thought a seven year old might ??? Been busy ever since . Best of luck to you .....Finn

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:29 PM
The Man

Also, don't focus on trout streams in the Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster area for your fishing.

Those may be the areas most convenient to you. But other parts of PA offer better trout fishing than that region. Especially once you get into the summer months when water temperatures get warm.

Also, there is some good trout fishing in MD. I've met many people who live in the Pittsburgh region who drive to western MD for the trout fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page