Clear Shade Creek - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Clear Shade Creek

Hello everyone. I'm just getting into fly fishing and a buddy invited me to join him on Clear Shade Creek next weekend. I haven't caught anything with a fly rod yet so when I say I'm new to this I'm talking REALLY new. Haha. I've been practicing my casting in the back yard and on a local stream with a piece of yarn tied to my tippet. I'm hoping my casts are good enough to fool a hungry fish. Has anyone been to the fly fishing only section of Clear Shade Creek this year? If so how was your experience? What did you use? Any and all help and tips are always greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping to have success this time out. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Jaron, hi. I've never fished Clear Shade Creek, but I do know they stocked the Fly fishing Only Section just last week. Have fun!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I read they stocked Clear Shade Creek but I wasn't sure if it was the FFO section. Thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

RE: Clear Shade FFO

Hi,
I fished there years ago in the FFO stretch, w/o really knowing where to access it properly. Very rocky shoreline made it difficult to navigate to fish, but we did hear later that the upper section is much better. You won't have to worry too much about your false casting, as you'll be fishing either nymphs or streamers, not dry flies. Fish deep and slow, as the trout won't move much in this colder weather.

Good luck, take your time, and have fun learning! You won't be a pro until, like your 4th time out! lol

Canefly

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't know anything about Clear Shade Creek, but I would have some gold beaded wooly buggers with me in olive green, black, and bown. The beads will help you get your buggers down closer to the bottom where the trout are lurking. Good luck and tight lines!

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot for the advice guys! No expert here for years to come. Haha. I'll definitely be trying what you have mentioned. Thanks again.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

After getting some negative reports and talking with a fellow at International Angler this afternoon I've decided to try the FFO section of Yellow Creek instead. If anyone has fished there please let me know about your experience. I'll be taking everything that was said previously about Clear Shade and applying it to Yellow Creek. It just seems that Yellow Creek holds more fish. Nymphing will be the name of the game I believe. Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaron View Post
After getting some negative reports and talking with a fellow at International Angler this afternoon I've decided to try the FFO section of Yellow Creek instead. If anyone has fished there please let me know about your experience. I'll be taking everything that was said previously about Clear Shade and applying it to Yellow Creek. It just seems that Yellow Creek holds more fish. Nymphing will be the name of the game I believe. Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated.
Yellow Creek is my home stream, be prepared for crowded water. Anymore the parking lot always seems to have alot more cars in it. After this week it will be worse because of the few fish it gets stocked with.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. We are going to be there this weekend. Hopefully with the weather we've had this week the stream won't be too crowded.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

looks like you might get lucky since they reschedule the stocking, so it might not be as crowded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in