First try at a musky fly, HUMBLED - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TurkeyMike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
The Man

First try at a musky fly, HUMBLED

Well after trying the articulated streamers I decide last night to try a musky fly. I just got done doing some size 16-12 stone flies, and wanted to give this a try.

First off if you ever think you are a good tyer, try one of these. They will set you back in your seat. LOL I just love how they look, and how much goes into them. I have talked to a few guys that tie them, and they are just down right beautiful. Mine however, not so much.

I watched a video on the process and decided to try it last night. The fly took my like 45 minutes to do, and only on the last bucktail section did I finally get a decent looking spin going on. I did use too thick of thread and had a lot of bulk and such.

These things are a lot of fun to tie, and are very humbling.

I have never caught a musky, let alone any toothy critter on fly gear. I have caught northerns, and pikeral before on spinning equipment.

My main goal for 2017 is to catch one toothy critter on something I came up with.

No clue what the style of this fly would be called, but I just had to keep reminding myself "Fur, Feather, Flash"

Was a lot of work, and I am pretty happy for my first attempt. Learned a lot and hope to get some material in to try some other colors and such.

Just a shock when you try one. LOL that was a 6/0 Hook, and I just got done doing size 16 nymphs. LOL

I really want to get good at these. Kind of like the guys that tie classic salmon flies and such. You may not use them that much, but just love how they look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg musky3.jpg (112.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg musky5.jpg (99.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg musky4.jpg (110.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg musky6.jpg (52.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg musky9.jpg (107.0 KB, 9 views)
bigguy54 likes this.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice fly's for your first attempt.I may try to tie some of them. French Creek is about a half hour from my house and it has a variety of fish including toothy ones. I thought about fishing it, I will make a serious effort this summer.Being retired I do have more time to fish. Now concentrating on steelhead, lots of rain & high creeks will have to wait a few days

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page