Crossing to the darkside, articulated streamers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By TurkeyMike
  • 1 Post By TurkeyMike
  • 2 Post By strutnstuff

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Crossing to the darkside, articulated streamers

I had a guy ask me to tie him up a box geared for bass, and panfish. I told him I could do buggers, crayfish, and leeches for bass. I decided to take a leap and give articulated streamers a try. Now I don't have all of the right gear for these guys yet but am going to be picking up the artic shanks and all of that.

I had an absolute blast concocting these things. LOL I am going to invest in some fish skull heads and such. Get some better materials but I think they don't look too bad for the first crack.

I think I will be trying these more often while fishing. I really want to get something going for summer time. I tried bass fishing with lures and top water and such but its just not the same as a fly rod for me.

Any tips on what are some go to materials, reference items, any thing like that would be greatly appreciated. I cant wait to go try these things out. Heck half of them could eat the flies I tied this year.

Are the premade shanks worth it? What are good materials to use? I want to try some for pike is there a preferred connection on those?

Thanks again, and I think I am going to be doing a lot more of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artic-marabou streamer.jpg (80.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg artic-marabou streamer-2.jpg (76.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg artic-marabou streamer-1.jpg (101.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg artic-sculpin.jpg (67.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg artic-sculpin1.jpg (103.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg artic-zonker.jpg (100.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg artic-Zonker1.jpg (98.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg artic-zonker-legs-red.jpg (89.2 KB, 13 views)
bigguy54 and Larry L. like this.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Mike. Did you learn how to tie flies on your own or take lessons?.I have been tying for a couple of years on my own. Hope to get my flies to look as good as yours, a job well done
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I appreciate the kind words about my flies. I really try my best to make killer stuff.

My uncle gave me a couple pointers when I first started. But that was when I was 16.... I'm 29 now. So I'm pretty much self taught. I may hit up some guys on new stuff, but I have never had any formal lessons or classes. Maybe watch a youtube video or so. Really tying is pretty much a few steps, and then you modify those a little to do different patterns. Just trail and error for the most part. Biggest think that I focus on #is Durability, and # consistency. Durability is the most important. When I first started a fly may last like 2-3 fish. Now I have caught upwards of 17 on the same fly before it started coming apart. That is all material specific of course.

I may start uploading some videos to youtube on some of my patterns and such but they will just be on my phone.

I just fell in love with it all over again last year. I originally started selling them because my wife was on maternity leave and we didn't have enough money to pay the bills. Since then life is crazy. I pretty much wake up, get 3 kids ready, go to work, have a high stress job, come home, eat do dishes, play with the kids, Relax with my wife a little, then tie flies. I am up pretty much every night until 1-2 oclock tying. I have shipped flies this year to PA, NY, NJ, NC, CA, IL, and will be shipping to MI, FL, and a few others. Last year I shipped to Northern Ireland. The friendships you make, and people you get to know are why I still do it. LOL Its not about the money, as as soon as I make money I do what I am doing now and buy new materials and such. I did however get Corbin his own Regal Travel vise. I also trade flies for turkey calls and such. LOL
bigguy54 likes this.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Mike for sharing & giving back. Our fly club will be giving lessons next month for beginners. I am by no means really good but I figured I would volunteer to help out. I think I a. Profieint enough to get someone started
bigguy54 and nomad_archer like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page