Steelhead and salmon buggers, and free tying instrction - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Steelhead and salmon buggers, and free tying instrction

My hareline order came in yesterday and I blew it out with bugger materials. I am on a kick with them so that is typically what happens.

Tying up this box for a buddy at work for trout, crappie, and steelhead/salmon.

These are size 6 3xl, 2x strong, buggers. Not weighted.

I like how these ones turned out.

If anyone is on facebook. I did a live video last night on how I tie my buggers. I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, but just figured Id share how I tie mine. If you want to add me as a friend an check out the video just look up Michael Richardson. My profile picture at the moment is me holding a turkey I shot. LOL

Im gearing up for the weekend, and will be tying up a PILE of nymphs from caddis larva, stone flies, pheasant tails, and hares ears.

TYING INSTRUCTION:

If you are in Cambria or Blair county or the surrounding area of Portage, and want to learn to tie. I will have a booth set up at the Portage High School Gymnasium for their "Spring Fling" on February 18th. It is to benefit a young kid who has cancer. I figured it is worth the $25.00 donation and basket donation to help out a kid in need. I know there won't be a lot of fly fisherman there, but just wanted to try and help him. I believe the other venders are like 31, Norwex, Tastefully simple. So if you want to bring your wife and let her look around, and learn to tie. I just don't want to be sitting there tying flies and not have any fly fisherman to talk to. LOL

I am hoping to have another Regal by then and will be teaching anyone who wants to learn to tie. If you have your own vice bring it a long. But I would suggest it be a pedestal vise. No cost on learning and you will get to keep all of the flies you would tie. If you want to come please message me and let me know the flies you would want to learn, so I can be sure to have the material there for you.

Thanks for the look and I know its a long shot, but I hope to maybe get to meet or talk to some of you guys at the benefit.

Tight Lines
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steelhead bugger 7.jpg (109.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead bugger6.jpg (72.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead bugger5.jpg (91.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead bugger4.jpg (86.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead bugger2.jpg (86.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead bugger 3.jpg (103.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead bugger1.jpg (102.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg steelhead bugger.jpg (89.9 KB, 18 views)
bigguy54 likes this.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice looking fly's. Question on lively legs. Never used them before, do you tie them on the top or bottom of hook
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutnstuff View Post
Nice looking fly's. Question on lively legs. Never used them before, do you tie them on the top or bottom of hook
On top. See video linked below

Last edited by nomad_archer; 02-05-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:54 PM

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I tie mine way different than benny does.

I tie them in first, behind the bead, then tie the fly as normal. I put them on top of the hook

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyMike View Post
I tie mine way different than benny does.

I tie them in first, behind the bead, then tie the fly as normal. I put them on top of the hook
As always more than one way that cat. I figured I would go with Benny's video since they came up with those things. When you tie it in first does it have a tendency to wrap around the hook or do you make sure there is some base under the legs first?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:20 PM

Nice Mike, wish i was closer i would come by just to give you some company!! lol

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
As always more than one way that cat. I figured I would go with Benny's video since they came up with those things. When you tie it in first does it have a tendency to wrap around the hook or do you make sure there is some base under the legs first?

Yelp all kinds of ways to do them. Mike Saxion ties them different than both Benny and I, LOL

I put the bead on and wrap my thread back to past the legs, then back up.

Next I, push the front leg tab right behind the bead and lock it in. Swing the tread to the mid point of the middle and front leg and tie it in. I keep a little edge distance from the legs though as you can sometimes get them turned and such if you get too close.

I swing then behing the middle leg and tie back to the next one. Pull the last leg off and toss it.

Then tie in the rest of the fly. You can do anything you want to with flies. Some techniques work for some, others struggle. Heck more issues tying sucker spawn and the green weenie than any nymphs, streamers, and heck even musky flies. LOL

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:46 PM

@TurkeyMike thanks for that info. By chance to you know the Lively Legz guys? I've watched a bunch of there youtube videos. They look like the have a ball when they get out fishin.

As for challenging flys for whatever reason my buggers never come out looking the way I want them to. They fish well I just dont like them. That is a big reason why I tie and fish slumpbusters more often.

I love that I can do anything I want with flies. I am going to try mixing a ostrich herl scud pattern with a polish woven nymph and see what I get. I hope it looks like sow bug. The polish woven nymph will give me the flat profile of the sow bug the ostrich herl will provide the legs add a bit of scudback and ribbing... could get interesting. If it works out I will share. By the way if you ever want to make your self crazy try tying the polish woven nymph using a shuttle weave. It looks so easy in the video. I think I learn a few new cuss words every time I tie one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I have yet to meet either of them Personally but they are great guys. We are hoping to meet up this spring for some fishing. I love their product and think that they really improve on catching fish.

Buggers are easy IMO. But easy is a subjective term. LOL guys say sucker spawn and green weenies are easy but I hate how mine turn out.

Yep once you get a few of the processes down the possibilities are really endless. My latest craze I musky/pike flies. I am actually going to order in a PILE of material to do them, buck tails, Schlapen feathers, large grizzle saddles, fish masks, you name it. I am just drawn to the beauty of them, and once I get good material I cant wait to see how mine look. LOL we are talking triple articulated 2/0 and 5/0 flies like 12-16" long. BRING IT ON!

LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page