Suggestions for reel. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Suggestions for reel.

Hi everyone,

I've got 1 year of fly fishing under my belt, and it was a great one. I thought myself through trial and error. It's honestly been almost a year since I've even picked up a spinning rod! I've taken suggestions from people I have met along the way at streams, local shops, and even on this forum. Even though I've caught many fish on the fly rod, I still have so much to learn.
That brings me to my question. I'm looking to upgrade either my trout fly rod, reel, or both. I currently have the Orvis Encounter 9' 5wt rod and reel combo, but I've noticed some differences. During the fall/winter season, I purchased an Orvis Clearwater 10' 7wt rod and Lamson reel for steelhead. It didn't let me down, as far as performance. The encounter, however, does not feel as smooth. More specifically, the drag on the reels. I realize the size difference in the fish being caught and rod weight/length, but I feel like there should be something a bit better than the encounter reel. Does anyone have any suggestions, as far as a quality trout reel under $200?

Here are some pictures from this past fall/winter...

NWSmitty likes this.

Last edited by SheBowHunt; 01-21-2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: wrong picture link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:04 PM

IMO reel/drag doesn't matter as much when catching trout, unless you're getting into some big fish and larger steelhead. Lamson's are very good reels so that's why you notice the difference. My 9' 5wt rod carries an Orvis Battenkill reel. I never had any problems with it, but it's not as smooth as my Lamson. For the cost difference I can live with the Battenkill.
SheBowHunt likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:21 AM
The Man

I agree that the Orvis Battenkill reels are a good choice.

Nice photos!
SheBowHunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

https://www.waterworks-lamson.com/fly-reels/liquid/ check this one out. The deal with the spare spools for 170 is a great deal that i would jump on for sure.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Nice photos. I particularly like the first one of you with the pink hat. The scenery photo is very nice.

Any reel is a good reel if you're using it.

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Last edited by FrankTroutAngler; 01-23-2017 at 01:35 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:43 PM

There are two battenkill reels. On has a disk drag the other is click and pawl. I have the click and pawl version on my 4wt and although it is a nice light reel with a good finish I just dont care for the click and pawl drag. I prefer the disk drags on the cheap cabelas prestige reels I have been fishing a lot lately.

As was mentioned above the lamson liquid seems like a very nice real and good deal with the extra spools. I was about 2 minutes away from buying one of those reel kits but I couldn't pass up the $30 clearance cabelas prestige reels.

I guess my point was consider the drag system when picking a reel. I am not a fan of click and pawl but I didn't know that when I bought the battenkill last may. Also consider the arbor size. The battenkill in the 3-5wt version is a small arbor which means more coils and stretch of the line required versus line coming off of large arbor reels.

Also those are some very nice fish.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Part of the Community

I love my Lamson Konic II. Looks like they are no longer in product though!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:47 PM

I too don't feel like the reel matters all that much for local streams as for me it mostly acts as a container for fly line. The best reel I have is the one I bought for my wife, an Okuma I bought for ~$50 IIRC. Beyond that I have had cheap reels from just about all the lower end outfits and never had much of a problem (my rods are outfitted one with an eBay $20 special, CRC aluminum that I actually really really like and a Cortland from Wally world.) I would love to be outfitted with some $300 fly reels but I just can't make that work so I go with what I can spend and I can honestly say I've yet to be let down. The only reel I ever used that I really didn't like was a Caddis Creek (I think they are made by Martin?) The fly line would always jam between the reel body and the frame and it was terrible so I quit using it.

By the way, you always look so cheerful in your photos, even in that clearly cold and unforgiving water!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't have any recommendations on reels.

Posting to say "Great pics of steelheads and fishing conditions all composed into your pics" Looks like you are catching on fast with the fly rod. Thanks for sharing.

You need to post more often in here with your pics.

Tight Lines

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

anyone else using the old Pflueger medalist reels? a 1494 would work great on the 5 wt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page