Coming back to flyfishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Coming back to flyfishing

As with another thread in here, I let life take me away from flyfishing for a good long while. I have all my gear yet.....but I haven't fished for years.

I'm at the point where I should probably just start as if a new flyfisherman all over again.

Any suggestions on reading/info to get re-acquainted?

Tulpehocken Creek Outfitters isn't terribly far away from me, so I've been in touch with them on fly tying sessions they do. I'm hoping it'll come back to me as I get back into it. Hoping.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

welcome back! my 2 passions in life are flintlocks and fly fishing. although I probably embarrass myself on the local streams, I love it! I try to walk out to the pond every evening and catch a least a blue gill or two, what a way to end the day. good luck and enjoy!
nomad_archer likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Welcome Back. You are off to a good start you kept your fly fishing equipment

I don't make my fly fishing too technical by knowing all the scientific names and such. I just like to get out and enjoy the day stream side and catch fish, mainly trout.

My favorite is to catch them on top with dry flies, but the majority of the trout I catch are on wooly buggers and nymphs.

Lots of good fly fishing videos out there on you tube as well as tying videos.

You can ask questions in here, as we get closer to Feb./March the activity picks up a little more in here.

Tight Lines

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:09 PM

Check with the Tully Chapter of T/U - not sure if they offer classes or just do tying seminars over at their house at Grings Mill(I think that's where it is).

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Check with Cabelas I think they have a fly tying classes coming up soon.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 PM

I just got an email from the downingtown orivs that they are going to be starting their free intro to fly tying lessons. In all reality though youtube has great instructional video's on techniques and video tutorials on how to tie different patterns. There are a few really, really good youtube channels for tying. There is another forum out on the internet that revolves around fly fishing in pa but I will let you go and find it. Or I can send it in a PM if you would like. It gets more traffic than the FF forum here.

If you ever want to fish with someone to fish with let me know. I fish quite abit anymore and am still learning the local water. I am currently exploring the tully.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 AM
The Man

I have found that Youtube is a GREAT source of info on fly tying. Just type in what kind of fly you want to tie. Never been to TCO classes, if they run there classes like they treat customers ill pass.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

welcome back I am also coming back to fly fishing. I sold my stuff and now having to re equip yikes. stuff is $$$!

will hunt for food....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

You aren't kidding there!

I needed waders and got a decent set off Camofire last year for a good price. Need to watch for sales on wading boots, and I'm good there.

I have a Cabela's 3 Forks....I think it's a 2 or 3 wt that does very nicely for small streams (7'), and a 5' Browning Diana that's been all over the western US with me on vacations and has caught a LOT of fish in a LOT of places.

Found what's left of my tying stuff. Biggest thing there is the vice is still in place. The rest is a mish-mash of stuff. I do have a big chunk of the rump patch of a mulie I shot last year year. Put it in my freezer for storage, but it's cream colored and I would think would make decent caddis.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I gave all my tying stuff to fellow who was diagnosed with cancer. He could not get out much due to health. It was three boxes of stuff.

Oh well he needed it more than me at the time. camofire? whats that?

will hunt for food....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page