Re: what flys for just starting out fly fish for trout
Depending on price and quality of the gander flies, you maybe able to pick up some online in the .50-1 range that would be equivalent quality wise to the big box store prices. In my experience gander has always been a bit high on prices. So keep that in mind when shopping.
1. Woolly buggers with or without bead/cone head in black, brown, olive. A black Woolly bugger with gold cone head is my favorite for high stained water. White is also a good color and I have caught several fish in lower water
2. I like zonkers or slump busters as well. They just seem to work.
I spend a lot of time fishing nymphs. To start I would try to find nymphs with or without a beadhead but I prefer a beadhead nymph.
1. Pheasant tail nymphs or any variation on the pheasant tail pattern.
2. Hare's ear nymph
3. Prince nymph or any of the variants
4. midge nymph. There are a lot of midge patterns and they all work such as zebra midge or brassie patterns.
5. baetis nymph
6. stone fly patterns.
7. cooper johns
I dont fish dries much so I only have a basic selection
1. Parachute Adams or Adam variant
2. Elk Hair Caddis
3. Simulator patterns.
3. Grass hoppers
4. Squirmy wormy
6. San juan worm
I know that is a lot but most of those patterns will work most of the time. I dont believe any on that list are hatch specific they are anywhere anytime searching patterns. I am sure I missed a few but those are my favorites. I havnt been fly fishing long but from what I have been told and observed with alot of fishing this year, that is my favorites list. I have way, way, way more patterns in my box but I caught a cabelas sale where they flies were $.50 each and I stocked up.
As for bass, your trout streamers woolly buggers, zonkers, slump busters will work. I would add a few poppers and some clouser minnows.
Have fun shopping and remember gander is selling popular fly patterns and for the most part you cant go too wrong with anything that is there. Also many patterns have variations and they work don't be afraid to pick up a psycho prince or formerly known as prince pattern since they are based on the prince nymph pattern, etc.