winter flies - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

winter flies

I just started fly fishing this year. I'm not into the match the hatch style, I fished terrestrials this summer and did ok for a first timer. I want to do some winter fishing this year and not sure what kind of flies to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 AM

Re: winter flies

In the winter there isn't a lot of dry fly action except for midges and occasional blue winged olives. So you should definitely have some of those in small sizes(18-24). But for the most part, the fish are going to be caught using nymphs. During the winter the fish don't move a lot to get their food because their energy level decreases. Some of my more successful winter flies are stonefly nymphs, small pheasant tails, zebra midges, eggs, attractors(green weenies and SJW's), etc. Also, you want to make sure you are getting down to the bottom, so fishing heavier flies helps.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:13 PM
The Man

Browtine matched my post exact. I would add that most of my bigger winter trout have been caught off of large stone fly patterns, size 8-6 even. Give them the meat and potatoes. I like beadheads this time of year as well.

I have had sucess also with dead drifting buggers with some slight twitches now and then.

I don't fish many eggs but with the decrease in fishing pressure I dont do to bad on them.

Biggest advice i can give you for winter fishing is this:

eat before you go out
dress warm
keep your neck warm. Those Balcavacas are the best
take a muff with you and put hot hands in it
take a spare reel with you. If you drop your reel in the water or something you will be done for. It will freeze solid.

It is not for the weak of heart but my favorite time to fish is winter. LOL youll get water froze on your line, tough to cast, but it is almost silent. No birds, no bugs, NO ONE on the water.

They make treatments and things like that for your rod and line.

Take a wading staff with you if you are not reall sure footed. Keep extra clothes in your car, and never go more than a mile or so from the car. Get out and walk back to the car and move it. the movement will warm you up and in case of emergency you wont be too far away to risk hypothermia or something.

Hope these help.

I have a power point i put together on winter fly fishing. Let me see if i can find it some where and Ill hook you up if you want it.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 11:03 AM
The Man

Through the winter months, there are often days when air temperatures hit 40F or above.

Watch the weather and try to fish in these warmer periods.

Flies: standard nymph and streamer patterns.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyMike
take a spare reel with you. If you drop your reel in the water or something you will be done for. It will freeze solid.

Only time I ever had an issue with a reel freezing up was when using a centerpin reel - they are prone to freezeups from heavy snowfall or sleet - no need to drop it in the drink...

Easy solution - remove reel from rod, unzip your jacket, place reel inside against your chest - take 5 minute break..

p.s. be careful not to catch the line in the jacket zipper - been there done that...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:59 AM
New Arrival

id like that powerpoint if you have it. always wanting to learn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page