Fly tying season is upon us! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Fly tying season is upon us!

Well as hunting season draws to a close and the weather (is supposed to be) getting colder, I turn to my fly tying equipment to stock the boxes for the spring and early summer seasons. I did fairly well with a number of new patterns both in the spring and mid-late summer as I tied more specific patterns for the areas I fish.

This past year I did specifically well on a couple patterns.

Les' Lemon Cahill Emergers,
Sulfur emergers,
Light cahill emergers (with my own modification for stream matching)

Those three probably caught me more fish when nobody else was catching anything. The light cahill emerger, specifically, completely salvaged a trip which I thought was going to have a poor catch. Once I tied on that fly I started catching fish left and right.

Generally when I tie a new pattern I only tie three of a couple different sizes. I went through almost every fly as each one got so chewed up. Some of those flies were hardly distinguishable as to what they were until the fish quit hitting.

I was almost ready to scrap the thought of fishing those days until I tied those flies on.

Therefore I am adding the three above to my "necessaries" and hope that they will also produce next year.

Has anybody else started a list of what you're going to tie for the upcoming season? Care to share your ideas?

"Where the Law ends, tyranny begins."

John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 PM

Re: Fly tying season is upon us!

Just picked up a new Danvise with my Cabela's gift cards, so i'll bee ripping a few dozen off this week.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:54 PM

I am staying busy with small game hunting (taking my shotgun for long walks - which is making mybelly disappear), ice fishing and winter stream fishing. I love the winter months.

But I need to set aside a couple hours at the vise - my choice is a few size variations of black and brown stoneflies - for winter trout and upstate NY Steelhead. I tie in a bit of blue,red,or bronze sparkle wrap in the thorax of the bug. Sometimes gives that extra little flash in murky waters - usually when I catch the maority of my winter fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to PA12pt

After this past spring, and finding some new favorite nymphs, ill be sitting down here in the next few weeks to put out a couple dozen of each. Found some hot patterns for my weekly penns creek trips when it comes spring time. anywhere from size 16-20 of caddis larvae, my own version of a very small prince, and just a small brown nymph i just kind of made up over a few different attempts have done well for me on penns usually dropped off a big stonefly or bigger size regular prince. All tied on a scud style hook, cant wait until my shipment of 100 of those hooks gets here now, im ready to get started

Philippians 4:13
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just finished tying about 20 RS2's. They are simple to tie and very effective. I'm pretty well stocked now just some odds and ends to finish up.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oh geesh! I know last year I slacked off during fly tying season and I paid dearly during season as I was in a mad rush to tie up patterns I'd need that evening for a trip to the f-spring. Def gonna get the materials out this weekend and tie a few dozen up!

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Mus
Frequent Contributor

Last season, as I began getting back into tying my own flies, I tied a little bit of everything...didn't want to be caught on the stream without the "right" fly...only to find out that I fished very few of my full collection. There were a few flies that produced over and over again and this year I will confine my tying to those patterns that brought me the most consistent success. After reading Charlie Meck's book on Tandem Flies, I began to use this technique more and more. Mostly fishing a combination of nymphs with the trailer tied to the lead fly's hook bend with about 12"-18" of line. My most successful pairing was using a nymph called the "Firefly" in the lead (link to video below) and a bead-headed Pheasant Tail trailing. I would guess that 99% of the time the fish would take the Pheasant Tail, but I really believe the Firefly is a great attractor. I would switch to a trailing "Bubble-back" Zebra Midge if I saw midges actively hatching. Of course, I will tie up some Deer/Elk Hair Caddis and a few #22 Gnats for when all else fails.
Fire Fly Nymph

Link to tying Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDDJi_Eg3RE

Wash Co. Archer...You will love your Danvise...I know I do!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm mostly tying to refill what I used last year. I went through a lot of gold estaz streamers, tan caddis larva, and prince nymphs last year. I'll also tie up a few experimental flies and try my hand at a few patterns from Fly Tyer magazine.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah I've been using "tandems" for some time. My go to is a size 12 san juan worm then about 12 - 16" behind that (tied to the bend of the hook) a size 16 bead head gold ribbed hares ear. or just a hares ear without all the ribbing etc... but that set up catches a HUGE majority of my trout. I've found that most the rainbows I catch are on the san juan, and browns are on the hares ear.

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Shippin,

Did you see the new copy has those wachy prince nymphs? I may try those.

"Where the Law ends, tyranny begins."

John Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page