After picking up this addiction that we call FF about a month ago. I have been getting out at least 2-4 days a week. Although conditions have been tough I kept on trying and learning along the way. In the first month I was only about to catch two fish. One the first night out with the fly rod and then a second fish about three weeks later. I must say there is one heck of a learning curve on this sport between different techniques with dry's, nymphs with an indicator, high sticking etc. Well last friday I got out to a local limestoner and the water was flowing well and was a off color. After learning on here that black woolly buggers could be good in these conditions, I tied on what I believe is a #10 black cone head wb and got to fishing. I was casting a bit up stream and dead drifting and then swinging through. I have to tell you it was the most exciting couple of hours of fishing I have had in a long time. I caught a carp on a squirmy wormy on my second or third cast which was quite exciting on a 4wt. Then I proceeded to land 6 on the WB, I hooked up with at least 6 more and had so many more short strikes that I lost count. Fishing the swing came pretty naturally since it is the same way I have been bait fishing for years. I think I need to give some wet flies a try. The only thing that bothers me about the trip was that I lost two fish due to knot failures. I guess its time to try the improved clinch instead of the standard clinch knot. I have no idea where I was going wrong with the knots. Sorry for a lack of stream shots I was having to much fun catching fish for a change. Cant wait to get out again. Sorry the pictures aren't the best I took a quick picture and hurried to get the fish back in the water.
Great job, make sure you wet the knot when you tie them.
I always wet the knot. Not sure what has been going on but this isn't the first time I have had the clinch knot fail. I usually have it fail when I test the knot. I don't know what I am doing wrong but is seems I am doing something fundamentally wrong with the knot but I am not sure how since it is such a simple knot. I am considering moving to a uni-knot as well but the improved clinch knot is really simple to tie.
Im using 5x Orvis Super Strong plus mono. I think what I was doing incorrectly was holding the tag end against the body when I cinched it down. When I released the tag end and trimmed, there was space between tag and the hook eye. I have been sitting here with a spool of 6lb mono and a fly tying knots all morning and have yet to have one slip. So I am guessing I identified the issue.