Cherry Run - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Cherry Run

I live pretty close to cherry run so I went out Saturday morning. Was on the water by 6 and a went to a pretty sweet looking hole. Trout were rising everywhere and the only insects on top were a few large mayflys (March browns?) and a few caddis (grannom?). I figured they must be hitting emergers but didn't have much luck fishing emergers. Didn't have much luck nymphing either. A couple other guys came up through and each landed 18 inchers. When I casted the nymph I used the appropriate weight, casted upstream at an angle and held the rod too high to reduce drag. Perhaps I missed strikes. Any suggestions on flies, techniques,...? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Cherry Run

I just drove over that stream sunday morning. I wish I could help you out but my fly fishing game is way below par.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Sorry I wasn't specific I actually fished penns creek near where cherry run is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:29 AM

The best lesson I ever learned on Penns was during the Grey Fox hatch. Bugs galore, rising fish, fish rolling just under the surface, it was a dream night...except I couldn't get a darn trout to look at my flies. I finally stopped fishing swore a little bit, looked at the water and realized there were flying ants mixed in on the surface. Out of frustration I tied on an ant pattern and couldn't keep them off it. Broke off my only three ants I had and I stopped catching fish. Doesn't matter how big the bug is, fish on Penns eat what they want, when they want when they are in the mood. You just have to keep going at 'em. Did you try lifting the nymph at the end of the drift?

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yep tried the lift also. I am wondering if maybe I missed a lot of subtle takes. I have caught plenty of trout on flies in stocked areas in the past but as of yet am primarily a fly fisher of smallmouth bass. Perhaps I'm waiting for the slam and am missing the subtle line pauses.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They are pretty fast at sucking in and spitting out that fly. You should have asked the other people what they were using, most people would at least give you a idea if not a fly or 2. But with out being there its hard to tell what was going on, could have been a number of things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page