CAMBRIA COUNTY STEELHEAD RUN!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

CAMBRIA COUNTY STEELHEAD RUN!!!

They are coming up from WILMORE DAM!!! Not exactly but the closest thing i can get to Erie i guesse.

Hit up the my favorite stream yesterday in Cambria County to test out my new wading boots that my wife bought me and my new Okuma reel that her mom had got me for christmas. I was very optimistic because my "Honey Hole" in summer had been hit hard with some greedy fisherman as well as very low and warm water conditions. I had fished the upper stretch with a friend with now luck. I moved to my favorite spot but my buddy had to leave within 15 Mins.

I continued fishing for about a half hour with a variety of freshly tied nymphs with no luck. I decided i was going to try a white marabou jig with a gold head for the heck of it. I was dead drifting it and would pick it up off of the bottom slowly about every 5 seconds. BOY did it work. I caught 5 trout in roulghly a half hour. Sizes were Brown: 7 or 8", Rainbows: 12",16",17.5", and 19.5". I had caught the big boy in June and I have been trying to catch him again since. LOL!! His color changed to fit the fall and winter conditions. All of the big fish were lethargic but still fought decent considering the air temperature was around 15 degrees.

The Okuma rell performed great. Catching my "Fish of a lifetime" again was awsome. I am very happy that when i hold a magnificent fish like that in my hands my first thought is get my camera, and my second thought is i hope i can catch him next weekend. I hope he makes it through this year. My buddy is off all this week so now he knows they are in there and can get some of these fish.

Seeing how healthy these fish are is showing me that life is making a great rebound on the This stream.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM
The Man

Re: CAMBRIA COUNTY STEELHEAD RUN!!!

Nice
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:55 PM

That is some beautiful fish there - Good Job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I dont try to impose C&R on anyone but one day fishing that honey hole 2 guys came up with flathead catfish sized spinning gear and a 5 gallon bucket of minnies and monster spinners with no licenses. I didnt want to keep fishing and risk showing them what was in here because i am not going to lie these two fit the "slob/bait fishing type" but to my surprise after i caught an 18" bow and put it back and said it was your turn they sort of smiled. They caught a few fish and released everyone. I guesse looks are deceiveing or maybe me letting that big boy go sent them a message of the benifits.

But... while fishing there one day a guy asked me what i was using. I told him and he says why didnt you keep any of the those fish they were nice. I said i would rather he give him the opportunity to catch them and let them go another day . He said I will let them go alright, into the back of my vest after i crush their head with a rock. WOW!
If that is not having respect for your game i dunno what is??

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:15 AM
The Man

nice fish, this makes me wanna take the fly rod out.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmike
I dont try to impose C&R on anyone but one day fishing that honey hole 2 guys came up with flathead catfish sized spinning gear and a 5 gallon bucket of minnies and monster spinners with no licenses. I didnt want to keep fishing and risk showing them what was in here because i am not going to lie these two fit the "slob/bait fishing type" but to my surprise after i caught an 18" bow and put it back and said it was your turn they sort of smiled. They caught a few fish and released everyone. I guesse looks are deceiveing or maybe me letting that big boy go sent them a message of the benifits.

But... while fishing there one day a guy asked me what i was using. I told him and he says why didnt you keep any of the those fish they were nice. I said i would rather he give him the opportunity to catch them and let them go another day . He said I will let them go alright, into the back of my vest after i crush their head with a rock. WOW!
If that is not having respect for your game i dunno what is??
I agree 100% and am tired of guys taking fish and then complaining about the lack of them...I started being a little more bold about it telling a couple of guys..if you want to take your fish home with you thats your right and i wont judge but you better stop complaining about the lack of fish. I also tell guys that I give flies to that they are catch and release flies only...they like the flies so they started to let the fish swim.

Anyway nice job on those fish, very cool.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Nice! You're killing me here!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I was helping stock one day and had a rainbow about 22" long in my bucket and there was a man in a tiny hole that someone just dumped a bucket in. He put his line in the water and caught a 9" brookie and broke its neck and threw it on the bank. When he saw the rainbows tail hanging out he said "Aw yeah bring that baby over here," I dumped it below his hole in the riffles. The guy then looks at me and says "Why the heck did ya do that," My reply was "Why dont i just bring it over and put it on the stringer for ya buddy!" LOL GOTTA LOVE IT!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice Rainbows....

Steelhead trout can reach up to 55 pounds (25 kg) in weight and 45 inches (120 cm) in length, though average size is much smaller.

They are usually dark-olive in color, shading to silvery-white on the underside with a heavily speckled body and a pink to red stripe running along their sides.

They are a unique species; individuals develop differently depending on their environment. While all O. mykiss hatch in gravel-bottomed, fast-flowing, well-oxygenated rivers and streams, some stay in fresh water all their lives. These fish are called rainbow trout. The steelhead that migrate to the ocean develop a much more pointed head, become more silvery in color, and typically grow much larger than the rainbow trout that remain in fresh water.

Adults migrate from a marine environment into the freshwater streams and rivers of their birth in order to mate (called anadromy). Unlike other Pacific salmonids, they can spawn more than one time (called iteroparity). Migrations can be hundreds of miles.

Young animals feed primarily on zooplankton. Adults feed on aquatic and terrestrial insects, mollusks, crustaceans, fish eggs, minnows, and other small fishes (including other trout).

Maximum age is about 11 years. Males mature generally at two years and females at three. Juvenile steelhead may spend up to seven years in freshwater before migrating to estuarine areas as smolts and then into the ocean to feed and mature. They can then remain at sea for up to three years before returning to freshwater to spawn. Some populations actually return to freshwater after their first season in the ocean, but do not spawn, and then return to the sea after one winter season in freshwater. Timing of return to the ocean can vary, and even within a stream system there can be different seasonal runs.

Steelhead can be divided into two basic reproductive types, stream-maturing or ocean-maturing, based on the state of sexual maturity at the time of river entry and duration of spawning migration.

The stream-maturing type (summer-run steelhead in the Pacific Northwest and northern California) enters freshwater in a sexually immature condition between May and October and requires several months to mature and spawn.

The ocean-maturing type (winter-run steelhead in the Pacific Northwest and northern California) enters freshwater between November and April, with well-developed gonads, and spawns shortly thereafter. Coastal streams are dominated by winter-run steelhead, whereas inland steelhead of the Columbia River basin are almost exclusively summer-run steelhead.

Adult female steelhead will prepare a redd (or nest) in a stream area with suitable gravel type composition, water depth, and velocity. The adult female may deposit eggs in 4 to 5 "nesting pockets" within a single redd. The eggs hatch in 3 to 4 weeks.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

not sure if that was for fun or just for informational purposes.

I knew they were rainbows I just titled the thread because they are pretty large fish for this time of year and given the area where they were caught they would appear to be a steelhead compared to other trout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page