Laurel Hill - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Laurel Hill

My father and I fished Meadow run and Laurel Hill this past Saturday and the crowds at Laurel Hill were truly unbelievable due to the "Keystone Select Trout Waters".....I'm not sure this was the PFBC's best idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 07:25 PM
The Man

Re: Laurel Hill

If there were that many people fishing, then whether we agree with it or not, that is exactly the idea.

I agree with you that fishing in crowds is not my cup of tea. But getting folks fishing, and buying licenses, is the whole scheme of what they've been doing lately.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

How were the crowds at Meadow Run? I was hoping with all the people Laurel Hill was going to attract some of the other local streams might be less crowded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
If there were that many people fishing, then whether we agree with it or not, that is exactly the idea.

I agree with you that fishing in crowds is not my cup of tea. But getting folks fishing, and buying licenses, is the whole scheme of what they've been doing lately.
Agree with participation like that must be a popular program. The need to expand it to more streams.

Personally, I would like them to open up some streams for catch and release with artificial lures in early March to allow more fishing opportunities before the regular opening days. Once opening day arrives then stream could go back to open fishing and creeing to those who desires.

Would get more enjoyment out of the trout this way as opposed to a lot of them being creeled the very first time they are caught.

There is a stocked lake nearby that is stocked and you can fish it, but can't keep any trout until opening day. I am not really into lake fishing though.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The crowds at Meadow Run were basically what you would expect on a nice day in March pretty crowded more so as the morning went on......And I agree their goal was to get people fishing but it was a circus.... very similar to an opening morning on an open fishery
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 02:09 PM
The Man

In the spring from March 1 to opening day in mid-April, most of the stocked waters are closed to fishing.

But the "special regs" areas are open to fishing.

So when you get some nice spring like weather, those regs areas, which have only a small mileage of water, get heavily fished.

And the ones under the Select program get even more pressure.

I see no problem with efforts to get a lot of people out there fishing in early spring. It sells licenses, and people have fun.

But I do see crowding as a problem that they could and should work on. Since fishing at this time of year is popular, then more mileage should be open to fishing now.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Oh I agree crowding this time of year becomes an issue no matter what the PFBC does .......I've fished that section of stream for 20 years and my dad has for 30+ so we have a good idea of the norm there and the amount of people was truly unbelievable ......If they plan on keeping this program going maybe it should include spreading these large fish out to more streams????
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just fished Laurel Hill this afternoon in the DHALO section. The trout must be wise now as there were only 6 guys fishing it, including myself. I did manage to land a 19" rainbow, along with a 15' and 10" 'bow with a 17" tiger trout sprinkled in, all on dries. Tough fishing but worth the drive after work! I guess the average beginner fly fishers will now hit the open waters for "easier" fish... They're definitely not as easy to fool now compared to a month ago.....

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Its awesome that you landed a tiger trout
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257
Its awesome that you landed a tiger trout
Thank you! That makes 2 this spring there and they fight like mad! It spit the fly while in the net and was still thrashing, wanting out NOW! It's a challenge now to go back and fool them, but that's what makes it more rewarding when they do get fooled!

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page