Cheating the Falling Spring - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Cheating the Falling Spring

It's been awhile since I've made a post. Flyfishing the last few years has meant chasing big smallmouth on the Conestoga. The only flyfishing for trout that I do in Lancaster is in the fast moving gorge of Black Rock on the FFO stretch of the West Branch of the Octorara. While it's fun, the fish are stocked, don't hold over well from year to year because of the warm temps, and often are sluggish on the fight.

This weekend I headed back to my hometown of Chambersburg for Easter and made sure my fly gear came with me. On Saturday, I hit up my familiar stretch that I have fished since my earliest memories in the Delayed Harvest stretch running through the edge of town. The stockies were plentiful and I nymphed my way to 7 trout but I had an itch to scratch.

I've tried the Heritage FFO only a handful of times, which is shocking because that stretch is the one that is known throughout the country. Only on one trip did I manage to land one small 6-7 inch wild rainbow during a sulphur hatch, but aside from that, I typically get busted by the spooky trout after much time spent trying to sneak into a good casting position.

The Heritage waters all but demand 9 foot leaders, 6X tippet, and loads of patience. The water is gin clear, and the watercress leaves few chutes that are able to be fished subsurface. As I got into the water, I saw some nice trout dart through the flat water watercress chutes. I had my eyes on the white water below though..

My game plan on Sunday afternoon was to avoid flat water, and seek out broken water and pull streamers from as far back as I could shoot line. I figured this would be about my best bet to cheat the tricky limestoner and give me a fighting chance to catch a respectable trout. I tried a new stretch which looked promising and got a flash or two that wouldn't commit. Then I got a good sideways cast to skip under low lying branches in a deeper run. After a quick snap of the rod to get the streamer moving I got pounded by a nice rainbow that went airborne. After a nice fight I had my first falling spring rainbow in hand that I could be proud of.

A bit farther down I had another scrappy one hit on a swinging tight line. A smaller rainbow but gorgeous markings and prominent par marks still on it.

My plan was going pretty well but I ran out of deep and fast chutes and I started making the half mile walk back to the car. I figured I should try upstream a hundred yards or so and stumbled upon this plunge pool.

This sure looked promising, so I slung my long shanked, lead wrapped, size 6 minnow streamer made out of white, black, and olive craft fur to the top of the hole and let the single split shot drive it deep on a slack line, with a couple twitches. On my 3rd cast or so into this hole, the line tightened up a bit on my strip and I quick set the hook. Immediately a golden belly brown with better size comes 3 feet out of the water, and follows it up with 2 more full air jumps, all within the first seconds of setting the hook. I was stunned and even more shocked to realize that I still had him on after the 3rd jump. I got him into the deep water, put the screws to him and finally got him onto a bed of watercress. He was between 14 and 15 inches and I couldn't have been more pleased.

I'll nymph when I have to, and I sure love to have a trout sip a #24 midge but I think I'll be chasing the white water from now on down there to give me a much needed edge on these limestone wild trout!

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM
The Man

Re: Cheating the Falling Spring

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 09:56 AM

Took me 6 months of fishing the Heritage section 3 times a week before I connected with my first one, but by the time I moved I could consistently reach double digits and even hit 25 one summer day with tricos and beetles. Although people did look at me funny with face paint on...

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice day. That place looks familiar.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You earn them trout on the Falling Spring. Got shut out more than once when I first started fishing it quite a few years ago. Then one day I went there with some McMurray ants that I read about in I believe Outdoor life. With them, I had a field day for me ending up catching a little over 20 that day, substantially above my normal hand full.

Had some other memorable catch days there off and on thru out the years as well as some shutouts favoring the trout.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My memory might be a little hazy as I haven't been on that particular stretch of the FSB heritage waters in a number of years, but isn't that the posted section on the creek?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

If it is, it's a surprise to me as I saw no posted signs anywhere within eyesight.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:57 PM

I believe right after I moved back to Snyder County (2007 ish), that section became open again, but you are right, it was posted for some time.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, they opened it up in the spring of 2007 and then subsequently posted it again in 2008. I talked to someone last summer at the stretch just below it and the way he talked I figured it was still posted. I haven't driven back to that parking lot in a while, but there used to be yellow posted signs all around the parking spot. In 2007, when they re-opened it there was a "walk-in fishing permitted" sign that they ripped down in 2008.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page