For beginners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

For beginners

Fly fishing has always intrigued me and I'd really like to learn how to do it! First I need a set up... I just purchased the orvis fly fishing guide and am waiting for it to arrive. Are there any suggestions as to where to start? I was looking at this. http://www.amazon.com/Orvis-Encounter-5-...customerReviews

I primarily just trout fish, however I may do some steelhead fishing as well. Oh and I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm a girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Part of the Community

Re: For beginners

I would recommend practice casting in the backyard, and getting as much water time as possible. The orvis store in Mt. Lebo and international angler both have beginner classes for casting, tying, etc. Just something you might be interested in.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I had no idea that there was a store there. That's literally 5 min away! Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 01:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have the encounter in an 8 wt for steelhead..and i love it. For a beginner i dont think theres a better rod on the market.

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBABUCK
I have the encounter in an 8 wt for steelhead..and i love it. For a beginner i dont think theres a better rod on the market.
Hmm so I've heard you shouldn't buy without trying it out... Do you think I should just go for it? The orvis website has more options as far as wt and length.

Also, orvis' beginner classes are booked for the next 2 months
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

International angler has also been advertising a fly fishing class specifically for women. The guys are great there and that would definitely shorten your learning curve.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

I would recommend you cast at least a few different flexes and styles of rods to see which might suit your casting style the best before buying if you can...

pullin strings, flingin flies and scraping stones...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

im going to assume that the rod is going to be a tip flex rod so its going to be a little be harder to cast in the beginning but once you get it down it will be great for a first rod. Each rod will have a different flex, pretty much a slow, medium, and fast. A slow rod the whole rod will flex to the butt section it will be easier to cast but harder to get a good hook set. A fast rod will flex at the tip making it hard to cast (but it is more accurate) but you will be able to get a better hook set. A medium action rod is basically the middle of the 2 others. Now that are also some other pro and cons from each style but that can be for later. If I was you i would look for a medium or a medium fast action rod, but like what seeker said go out and cast some lines and see what you like. A good many of my buddies go to International angler and a good buddy of mine works there so i dont think you could go wrong by stopping in there. Now the next thing you are going to need are some flies. That is going to all dictate on what streams you plan on fishing. There will be caddis and midges in just about every stream you fish and most of your mayflies. I would start out with some pheasant tails in sizes 10-20 and that will cover ALOT of bugs (mayflies and stones) with just that fly. Some caddis larvae in green, cream and brown will be another fly that you should have in sizes 8-18. Always have some zebra midges in your box. A hares ear and a price nymph will also be some other great flies to have. Those are just some flies that will get you started for fishing underneath where the trout will be feeding 95% of the time. For dries some BWO in size 16-20 will be good some Elk hair caddis in sizes 12-18 and some adams in 12-18 well get you going for most of your mayflies. Now i know i have wrote a lot of information but dont be scared by it all, just learn how to nymph fish at the moment and in about a month or so when that bugs starts to hatch pick up a dry fly or two and give it a go.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

I also recommend International Angler the guys there are great.....and if you're 5 minutes from orvis you're only 20 minutes from them as well
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Part of the Community

Buying flies can get expensive, check out bigyfly.com they are cheaper than most stores

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page