mountain stream tips - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

mountain stream tips

hello everyone I was curious if anyone here has any tips for lightweight small mountain stream fishing, like flies, presentation, etc. thanks just interested since I do a lot of mountain fishing thanks. Tight Lines!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 AM

Re: mountain stream tips

In the summer nothing beats a foam beetle in my opinion, but if you stay low and move slowly, there are many patterns that work well. Trout in mountain streams generally have limited food options, so they don't typically pass up an easy meal. On the flip side, they scatter at the slightest hint of danger. I've caught them on ants, elk caddis, adams, etc...but I really enjoy the foam beetle, very durable and easily visible.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 PM

Travel light. Leave the vest and chest waders at home. I invested in a pair of stockingfoot hip waders. Good wading shoes are much better for hiking then those cheap rubber hip boots as they offer ALOT more support. I also use a neck lanyard for my tools and tippet and a small Fishpond waist/sling pack. Everything I need is in the small pack. I carry a selection of flies, one small box on the lanyard and two in the pack. The flies include royal wulffs, parachute adams,H&L varients,beetles,ants,green weenies,patriots, humpys, pheasant tails, hares ear nymphs and elk hair caddis in several sizes of each. Size 14 is my favorite. Use a short light rod(6-7.5 ft.)and keep the leader short, no longer than the rod length. Carry some water as you will get thirsty with all the walking. Practice your casting. The cast are short but you must be accurate.Last but certainly not least learn to sneak! WTT

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The flies that were recommended work really well. I always just use elk hair caddis for brookies. They seem to be willing to hit anything and put on a show doing it.

If you don't already, be sure to smash your barbs, it makes releasing the little guys easier.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:18 AM
Mus
Frequent Contributor

Lots of great advice here! I might also add, that it's good not to fish the same section of the creek too frequently. Plan your trips to fish different parts of the stream and let the other sections rest a while. My favorite flies are Humpies, Wulffs and foam Beetles...anything that floats well and is easily visible to you. This will be your reward:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Regular Visitor

This is the best fishing their is.
Got my trip planned for the first weekend in June!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Anything that floats if your fishing not pressured Brooke.

If your looking for the big Browns In those little streams, go at first light and dusk and throw big steamers or night crawlers if your serious about getting a big one.

I agree with grouse. I saw his orange beetle pattern and how effective it has been for him the past couple summers, I just replicated based off his pictures and have been hammering fish with them ever since
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

It is very important to read the water - even in smaller mountain streams...

Undercut banks, small eddys/current breaks formed behind debris, and my favorite - the confluence of two small small streams are prime fishing spots - think like a fish - where would you position yourself to grab a tasty meal as it drifts downstream?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Steve  Hammel

nice trout

Riding or hiding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page