Colorado Fly Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Colorado Fly Fishing

I may be heading out to Colorado in late September. I am considering taking my fly rod along. Does anyone have any experience to share or information about current water levels. I know some areas out west are low and warm.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 02:23 AM

Re: Colorado Fly Fishing

White River. Meeker

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:21 PM
The Man

The streams in Rocky Mountain Park are very scenic, and many are at high elevations.

When we were there we hiked back in several miles and were fishing at around 10,000 feet elevation. That high up, the streams never get warm.

We had good fishing for cutthroat trout, brook trout, and some cuttbows. And we fished there in August, which is a good time to fish the high country.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 02:03 AM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

what part of CO? it's a big state with a lot of water to fish.

RIZ
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

i would be flying into Denver. Looking to fish for wild trout preferably with a chance for cutttroat since I've never caught one. I wouldn't mind hiking a ways but am not planning to overnight.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:32 AM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

for cuts I'd go to high lakes in RMNP, and st vrain river in Wild Basin park

RIZ
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hire a guide for a half day...a very worth while investment if your short on time

"when I'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg300
I may be heading out to Colorado in late September. I am considering taking my fly rod along. Does anyone have any experience to share or information about current water levels. I know some areas out west are low and warm.

Thanks,
I missed this post. Although I have fished other states out west, I just started fishing Colorado in 2011. According to the local reports, this year has been a good water year. Lots of rain in May and June. Water levels are coming down but still good. Up in the high country they had their first frost last week. The fishing should be excellent now through the start of heavy snows,...which could be by the end of September.

There are MANY areas to consider. If I were going the first time, I would also find a guide. Areas around RMNP are a good choice.

Potter County-God's Country. Fishing/exploring Northcentral PA since 1981.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg300
i would be flying into Denver. Looking to fish for wild trout preferably with a chance for cutttroat since I've never caught one. I wouldn't mind hiking a ways but am not planning to overnight.
You have a couple kinds of wild cuts, wild bows, wild browns and brooks, wild cut-bows, wild greenbacks and now some streams/lakes are selectively being managed for Greenbacks. They are all MAGNIFICENT. Although the greenbacks are just spectacular colors, my favorite are cut-bows. Know that some streams look great,...but have only brookies,...which would not be my target if I was going to CO.

Hiking is incredible. All kinds of well maintainted trails. Know that the moose can be very dangerous and are prolific on certain streams and while walking along the bank you don't see them in the brush until you almost step on them,...which is NOT good.

For these reasons and more I would also recommend a guide. I know and highly recommend a couple so let me know if you want their contact information.

RMNP(rocky mountain national park) is also a GREAT side trip. you can fish there(but it does see some pressure) and also take hikes/horseback rides to high country lakes. Once you have been to those high country lakes, surrounded by the granite walls, alpine meadows, stunted pine thickets and an occasional stand of bristlecone pine, you may wonder why you did not do this 20 years ago. It is that good.

Potter County-God's Country. Fishing/exploring Northcentral PA since 1981.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

NorthPotter. Can I get the contact info for those guides?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page