"Leisenring Lift" works well - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
The Man

"Leisenring Lift" works well

It is no secret that my favorite way to nymph fish is with an indicator. I don't know what it is but watching that indi rip up stream has the same effect for me that many dry fly fisherman like when the trout comes up and wacks their fly.

I like the no fuss no muss way of fishing. Heck I use a hand tied tapered leader to a barrel swivel and use 4-6# fluorocarbon for my tippet. It works, I catch fish, and I am happy.

Some days however the old faithful indicator and dead drift wont cut it. Often if the water is lower it is tough to detect the strikes with it. So I reluctantly switch methods. Some times I leave the indicator on to help me see the general area where the flies are. My eyes are the best anymore.

Well this morning before work I snuck to my honey hole and had about 15 minutes to fish. My first cast yielded a nice 10" hold over bow. The trout hit a grey squirrel nymph. I know there are a pile of fish in this hole, but after 5 minutes of no more takers I figured I was either not detecting the strikes, or the fish did not want the dead drifted nymphs.

I could see a few trout actively feeding mid water coloumn, so I figured I would try and use the "Leisenring Lift" technique. Now it is probably more technical than how I was doing it, and I am sure others know more about how to do this but here is what I was doing.

I knew a few of the key feeding lies on the hole, and a few of the structures that would hold the fish. I kept the indicator on for a reference to know where my flies were. Most would take it off, but it helps me quickly keep tabs.

I would pitch out up stream at roughly a 45 degree angle and let the flies get to the bottom. Once my indicator would be above where i felt the fish were I would start to slowly lift the flies up. The rod would be pretty much straight out in front of me, and I would be lifting the flies up and down stream.

What this is representing is nymphs coming up off of the bottom. My first lift yielded a nice brookie about 9".

I took him off and gave it a go again. One of the key things about this that you need to remember is pinching the line with you rod hand between you fingers. If you don't it is easy to lose tension. The fish will often hook itself on the lift as they are going to take you fly and swim back down. If you keep tension you will feel the fish take it. A quick lift and the fish will hook itself.

I was having a blast and just about every cast or every other cast yielded a fish. I had about 2 minutes to spare, before I get out of the 10 minutes early comfort zone for work, when my lift go hammered.

I set the hook and my drag was screaming pretty good. I knew I had a nice fish on. THe water temps were pretty low with the cold snap but i still wanted to make the fight short, as I imagine the oxygen levels are a bit lower right now.

I brought to hand a really pretty rainbow. I knew he was in the hole as my son had lost him on a salmon egg/waxworm combo about a week or 2 before.

My go to fly "peeping caddis" as i like to call it, "peeking caddis" is its real name, did the trick on a few of the fish I brought to hand. You can see it a little in this fishes mouth.

I snapped these pics real quick and was getting my fly out when the trout flopped into the water, and snapped my fly off.

Figures as I am out of the ultra chenille I use to tie the pattern. I may try some chartreuse yarn this time around, and save some money.

I am not great at this method and I hope some others who would out fish me any day can chime in with some better tips and explanation. But it is worth a little research. I also believe the creator was from PA.

Thanks for the read,

Mike

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Part of the Community

Re: "Leisenring Lift" works well

I was having a blast and just about every cast or every other cast yielded a fish.

Ive been fly fishing since the 60s if there is one thing ive learned-- is many times writers can convince you that there is much more to it than
there is. that said the primary facets of the lift are #1 leading/enough sink time#2timing your lift #3 speed of lift # 4 controlling drag
#5 identifying the proper time to fish any specific tactic
beond that is just experance to make it all come together seems you are well on your way quite often what is required changes fish by fish & miniute by miniute
and thanks for the pics
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Yep, I couldn't tell you the last time I had an every other cast session. Just wanted to bring home the point that the slightest change in depth, or color, size, or presentation can make a 2 fish outing turn into a pile of fish.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Seems like this was more of my tactic
"Frank Sawyers Induced Take "

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I do employ a lift tactic, sometimes change the speed of the lift. Fun to watch a trout follow the fly up, then smash it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Regular Visitor

Putting this tactic in my tool box. Thanks

2014-2015 season
5 Red Fox
12 Muskrat
20 Coon
2 Beaver
4 Possum

2016-2017season
13 Coon
2 Mink
3 Muskrat
6 Possum
1 Skunk
1 squirrel
1 rabbit
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 PM
Regular Visitor

Where do you find the time to slay turkeys and fish so successfully?

2014-2015 season
5 Red Fox
12 Muskrat
20 Coon
2 Beaver
4 Possum

2016-2017season
13 Coon
2 Mink
3 Muskrat
6 Possum
1 Skunk
1 squirrel
1 rabbit
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION..... lol

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 01:09 AM
Regular Visitor

That's a big 10/4. I spent my morning fishing the White deer fly fishing only section. Landed a couple and seen some turkeys too! The grouse have been strutting everywhere. Ive seen a few on each of my fishing excursion's this week

2014-2015 season
5 Red Fox
12 Muskrat
20 Coon
2 Beaver
4 Possum

2016-2017season
13 Coon
2 Mink
3 Muskrat
6 Possum
1 Skunk
1 squirrel
1 rabbit
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:46 PM
New Arrival

Nice post, did you notice any caddis around ? I've had success "lifting" when the caddis are emerging. I suppose BWO would be more prevalent this time of year so maybe that's what was emerging.

Several years ago I discovered this technique before I knew there was a name for it. I was trying out some flies my guru Joe Ackourey had tied, they were "emergers". I was fishing Bowman's FFO stretch and wanted to see what the fly looked like on the rise. With only about 15 feet of line out I lifted the fly and a brookie came out of no where and slammed it. I started asking about this on the fly community and found out it was the Leisenring Lift.

Since then I had a few occasions when I noticed trout chasing emergers and had the type of action you described, fish after fish grabbing the fly on the lift.

On a side note if you want to read or watch video on alternate methods of nymphing (without an indicator) check out some of joe Humphrey's videos and articles. I learned a lot from his vids and developed my own style which is nothing like the high sticking methods most guys use. I stagger the weight along the leader/tippet and my line lays flat out across the water. My fly rod is low and parallel to the water, watching the line, if it pauses or moves irregular to the current I lift, it works for me. I never felt comfortable fishing with an indicator. To each his own, whatever works for you.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page