what am I doing wrong - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

what am I doing wrong

Fished two days in Laurel Hills creek ,Falls Run,Blue Hole Run first weekend in May in Somerset Co.Fished Neshannock creek on May 22. I didn't catch any fish. Tried nymphs, scuds, woolybuggers, streamers just about anything I could think of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 01:26 AM

Re: what am I doing wrong

Well, a bit more info would help. First question I have, how long have you been fly fishing? Also, were you swinging the nymphs, fishing them on a dead drift? Patterns you were using, did you have any takes at all, or no activity? Could be a million and one things going on there to be honest. But if you try to give me a bit more background I'd be glad to offer up some advice from my meager experience!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Agree with psychob. need more info to offer some tips. When fly fishing, I believe in that I should always catch a few trout on each outing, some days are just better than others.

My old faithul fly fishing is a gold beaded olive or black wooly bugger and by using the method of wading side of stream and roll casting to about a 10:00 position and short stripping the bugger back in.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Been fly fishing about 2 years. Used olive wholly bugger,pheasant tail nymph, hairs ear. Slate grey dry fly,ant, pregnant scud. I used some weight &float indicator1 1/2 the depth of creek. Used a dead drift. Creeks were clear and a little low.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You said it was low and clear, what size tippet where you using...where you spooking fish
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was using 7 florocarbon tippet every fly had a gold beadhead except dry flys. May have had a few hits or a snagll
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Try to go small like 18-22 also fish some midges....with low and clear water any mirco drag at all will make the fish reject your fly...you also have to eatch movement and how you wade, also maybe do a dry dropper and watch for the flash of the fish...just a few suggestions
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:42 PM

Fish riffles... N swift runs and as mentioned above watch for a flash or the white of there mouth. Turn over a few rocks n try to match what's attached to the bottom or take a smell gold fish net n catch what drifts out n match it. In riffles my go to is always a bushy dry n a small non beaded pheasant tail as a dropper.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 AM

Hmm not sure what to say. Were you really careful walking around the stream? I have been fishing a few wild streams around here the last few days with nothing but a pink glo egg and a green weenie and catching a ton of fish. The only exception was in places where I approached wrong. I would say first watch your approach to any holes. Approach slow and low, and I mean as low as you have to. There are holes on some streams to which I have literally crawled in order to catch fish, especially in clear water.

You could also try some of the above advice as far as the flies go. I typically find a 5x tippet small enough to avoid spooking trout, but if the water is really clear maybe smaller is called for. Also, for me nymph fishing is on a floating line, usually on small streams a 7.5ft leader. Bigger streams 9ft. I almost always attach a piece of tippet ~12in long to the leader. Are you using indicators? If you were closer I'd offer to go out with you. If you're ever back toward Somerset...

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

See any trout rising? Ants are deadly this time of the year and will take a majority of those feeding on top as long as your approach and presentation is cautious. Another thing that helps me with catching fish in low and clear water is to wear colors such as camo, army geen and such that are not so bright and sort of blend it with the surrounding foilage.

Did you see any trout? Seems like you are using the right flies, leaders, etc.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page