Corbin is coming a long - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Corbin is coming a long

https://youtu.be/MFlkm_7zINs

He is coming along well and has definetly started to listen to me a bit better. You can see him lift the tip up and such, to the best of his abilities.

Still going to look at getting him a shorter rod, and larger diameter reel so it is easier for him to reel. I believe I will try and get a rod with a small butt section as well, you can see him try to anchor it against his body as the rainbow is fighing. For now I am just getting him into it. He is holding the cork with me and putting effort for roll casting but I am guiding it.

I love taking him out right now and just exposing him to fly fishing. I am still up in the air on what I want to start him out with. He goes bait fishing and can cast his push button rod, but I think he enjoy fly fishing more. We caught 3 brookies, and that rainbow, before going to a kids fishing derby where he caught around 25

Time will tell, just figured I would share

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 05:39 PM

Re: Corbin is coming a long

I wish someone had started me fishing with flies, especially wet flies, at a younger age. I would have probably been much better at it today! I would say you will keep him interested by allowing him to fish both ways. Glad to see he likes it!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Yep. I learned bait fishing and was great at it. My uncles taught me a lot about reading the water and such, where fish like to hide. I don't know how they did it but they would locate fish and miss them and let me know where to cast and such.

I love fly fishing but want to allow him to make the choice as to what one he wants to do. I was brought up bait fishing, and was threading minnows and tying riggings at 7 years old. It got old to me when I was 16 and made the switch. I love it now, but need to go back to a little bait fishing to brush up on skills to pass down to my son.

Just hate having my hands get all nasty from worm dirt, waxworm guts, and minnow slime. Not to sound too much like a sissy.

I only fish nymphs, but might start going back to dries and streamers, in case he wants to learn them. I don't want to push my likes on him.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 PM

I love fishing pretty much anything the fish will hit! My wife uses the fly rod with wax worms or red worms on all the time and she does great. It's all in what you like to do I guess. I enjoy fishing dries any time a fish is surfacing, but I love to fish nymphs and streamers as well. And yes, sometimes I still do drop back to fishing bait failing anything else. I hope he continues to take on this sport. It can be lots of fun!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page