Well my day was made - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Well my day was made

I went to go scout for turkey this morning but as soon as I walked up the mountain I got a text from my wife that the twins were crabby. So I turned around to go help momma. Of course when I get there they are all sleeping like babies. It is not too light to risk spooking the gobblers, so I decided to go fish for a little bit.

I live right near the Little Conemaugh. I have posted about this stream in the past. It used to have raw sewage, and laundry water and such draining right into the stream. I hit up a few of the easy access holes with no waders and such.

I caught a hold over brookie about 9-10" on my first cast at my first stop. He was really dark, and had a bright red belly. I thought this was pretty cool as well because in that hole over the last week I have caught hold over, rainbow, brown, brook, and golden.

I worked my way upstream and only had about a half hour before I had to hit the bricks and go to work.

I stopped at a nice riffle with a rock cliff face on the far side. My first cast in this hole and my indicator sunk. I set the hook and nearly lifted the fish right out of the water.

I thought it was a chub but was ecstatic to see it was IMO a wild brownie.

There is no fingerling stocking on this stream. I kept him in the water and snagged a quick picture of him. This really made my day as it was the first time I caught a wild trout above the confluence of Benscreek and the Little Conemaugh. I believe that the fish are reproducing in this once desolate stream. I have caught quite a few wild browns and native brooks at the intersection but figured they just came down from Bens creek.

After a few more casts my indicator took off an I had a nice fight on my hands. I brought the fish to hand and feel it is a hold over brown. Now I am no expert on this but think he is one of those borderline fish, but IMO he is a hold over. His fins and such were perfect but again the last stocking of this stream was last may.

I really love seeing trout naturally reproducing and feel that the LC will continue to do so. The new sewage systems that have been put in have really made the stream take off.

What a way to start the day, and never would I have thought a small 4-5" trout would make my day so much.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Well my day was made

I took the advice of Attackone, and reached out to my local TU and the Fish commission to let them know that I am catching wild trout here. My cousin works for the main office in Harrisburg for the PAFBC and I am seeing what the criteria is for a stream assessment to be done on this stream. I would love to see just how many of these wild fish are in the stream, and also just how many hold overs and such are in there.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:18 PM

They stocked the little conemaugh??? When and why did they do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The state doesn't a local sportsman group stocks from cresson to portage.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:41 PM

Makes sence. I plan on hitting bens creek up in a few days never fished there is it a pretty clean stream?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
The Man

PM SENT

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Part of the Community

Nice to hear about a stream "improving" in water quality these days..instead of going the other way..Nice fish..Hope everyone that catches those wild trout..puts them back.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:14 PM

I thought Bens Creek was a trib to Stoney Creek River? Maybe there's another Bens....Still cool to hear. Lots of good news happening with streams in that general area. Glad to hear.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 PM

Two Bens. One in the Portage / Cassandra area that drains into the Little Conemaugh, one comes down from the Jerome area into the town of Benscreek, joining the Stonycreek at St. Andrews church.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page