Stocked trout - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Stocked trout

New to the whole fly fishing thing. Have a 8'6 5wt and a couple flies the guy at cabelas recommended. Still looking for my first fish on the fly figured I'd spice up fishing for stockies, any tips or flies to use in a small creek for them? Also thinking about getting a shorter rod and lighter weight to add to the arsenal any info is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 07:56 PM
The Man

Re: Stocked trout

Get some strike indicators. Remember to set them to about 1-1.5 times the depth of the water. Learn to mend your line while using nymphs. I fish mostly nymphs because 90% of the fish caught are caught under the surface. That's not saying if the surface bite suddenly changes ill be ready!

My choice for you. San Juan worms, wooly buggers, zebra midges, hares ears, pheasant tails, caddis nymphs, cahill nymphs, and there are tons more! Keep them in the sizes 14, 16, and 18 ranges. San Juan I tie in size 12 and 14. Zebra midges, black and red are good starters.

Personally before buying another rod get used to the one you have. That five weight is a good all around tool. Good luck! Post a pic of that first fish no matter the size!

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

A 7' or 7 1/2' rod for your shorter rod. My preference would be a 4 weight rod, or you could go the economy way by purchasing a 5 weight rod, which would negate the need for another reel/line. Or you could buy an extra spool for your current reel and line it with a 4 weight. Couple of different ways to approach it.

Flies:

Olive and black wooly buggers. You can dead drift them like a nymph, then let it swing in the current like a wet fly, then retrieve it with a slow "twitch" like a streamer.

Dead drift weighted nymphs by making a short cast upstream, then follow the fly/line with your rod tip so there is no drag (imagine the nymph drifting freely close to the bottom of the stream). Keep your rod tip up. If your nymphs aren't weighted, add split shot about 6" above the fly.

You can look up nymph fishing videos on the internet to show you the proper technique. You may also use a strike indicator which acts as a small bobber to detect strikes when fishing nymphs. Hope this is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 11:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Cork
What did the guy at Cabelas give you? I know most of them and they are quite knowledgeable in fly fishing. They should have set you up with some decent flies.
You get up that way towards Cabelas, I'll hook up with you and I can show you some streams in that neighborhood and give you some tips. I'm about 20 mins north of Cabelas.

Big D
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I don't really know what he picked out to get me started I can take a picture of my little fly box. I know I got two black wooly buggers, just unsure what the other ones are. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about knew more then I did haha.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bright patterns work well like green Wennies and eggs , worms and standard nymphs like pheasant tails hares ears prince etc.

2015 success
3 doe
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:14 AM

Green weenies, San Juan worms, wooly bugger's, eggs etc work well on stockers...especially fresh uneducated stockers...

Once they have been in the water a while and spooked by flashy stuff I go to nymphs and such...black and brown wooly buggers..etc..more natural looking stuff...

I grew very frustrated trying to catch trout under the surface...I still struggle badly...and I've been out of it for a few years so I've probably forgotten what I did learn...

One season I hammered it hard and made it a goal to fish with only the fly rod..I learned and started doing OK..

I can take fish on top when they are feeding on top...many guys swear dry fly fishing is harder...for me its way easier...

My advice....stick with it if you wanna learn...don't even take your spinning rod...you'll know its in the truck and run to go get it out of frustration...believe me..I did it 1000 times lol...

If at all possible try to find a mentor to help show you the ropes...

And...find a pond or lake with panfish and bass...no its not a moving trout stream with currents etc...but its a blast...and you'll learn how to play fish and get them on the bank..can work on your casting etc...its a good time...especially if you can get into some decent bass...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
The Man

Standard fly patterns work. If there are trout there.

The most important thing in all trout fishing is going to places where there are at least decent numbers of trout in the stream.

It takes some experience to figure out where they are vs where they ain't.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:42 PM
The Man

get these patterns in size 16, 14, and 12, with bead an non bead and you will be good to go

Gold ribbed hares ear
pheasant tail
prince
caddis larva
copper john
grey squirrel nymph.
walts worm

I personally have had more luck on the natural patterns than the flashy stuff. I only nymph fish but these flies are always good for first day

white crystal wooly bugger
black bugger
olive bugger brown tail
olive bugger black tail
brown bugger

sucker spawn
crystal meth
egg patterns
SJ worms

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Bomb proof rig for stockies - 7.5 foot tapered leader to 6X. Tie on a San Juan Worm, red or pink. Place a tiny split shot about 10 inches above the san juan. From the bend of the san juan tie on 1 foot of 6X tippet. Tie a # 14 or 16 hares ear nymph onto that. Buy some Thingamabobber brand strike indicators and attach about 20 inches from your fly line give or take depending on water depth. Stand perpendicular on the side of a decent hole. Cast to the top, mend your line, or better yet high stick keeping all of your fly line above the water surface to ensure drag free drift. Set the hook at any delay, pause or sudden twitch of the thingamabobber. Let the drift go to your 3 o'clock and when it begins to curve and straighten out, give a light hook set just in case as you pull your fly out to recast (roll cast ). You'll see just how easy fly fishing can really be.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page