9ft Hype? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

9ft Hype?

What is with all of the 9ft 4 or 5 weight rods out there now days. A couple of magazines I get had mostly only 9ft rods in their review sections. I was looking on the shelves of sporting good stores and again, they only had 9ft rods. There were quite a few more varieties of 9ft leader than there were 7fters.

Whats wrong with the good ole 7'6"? I don't see any advantage of having a rod of that length and weight for trout. Actually I think it could be quite cumbersome. Half the streams I fish are not 9ft wide at some places!

I have never bought a fly rod and never will, my dad makes quite a nice rod, so I was just wondering what the hype about the longer rods are. The only 9 ft rods he has made are heavier weights for salmon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 03:28 PM

Re: 9ft Hype?

I'm not sure what hype you're referring to as 9' trout rods have been very common for many years. Generally speaking, longer rods are easier to cast and make it easier to manage line. This is especially true for nymph fishing and is the reason why 10' trout rods have become pretty popular. Of course as you mentioned, the longer you go the more difficult it becomes to maneuver. For me it depends on the situation, but I prefer to use my longer rods for just about everything other than the smallest of streams.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 04:08 PM

I enjoy an 8'6" rod for larger streams but have used 9s and like them too. Never had much of a problem maneuvering the rods around. Real tight stuff I use my 7'6" rods, small native streams and what-not.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have quiet a few 10' 3-4 wts and plan on getting a 10' 2 wt here soon and probably even a 11' 3wt. They arent bad at all and make a killer rod for nymphing. Plus like Esox said a 9' 5wt rod has be a standard for a very long time
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have rods from 6 1/2' to 9', and they all have a place, including my 8 1/2' and 9'rods for bigger water. The longer the rod, the greater the advantage for nymphing (maintaining a drag-free drift).
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Same as outsider, my rods start at 5foot and go to 11ft for trout. Salmon are different so lets not count that.
Everything has a place. Can you do everything with one rod? Short answer is YES. Will it be harder? YES. Drifting, mending, casting. Hey I can cast a pretty long distance with my 8 footer but it's going to be a double haul to push that line out the same as my 9 footer. I'd rather walk closer but in deeper, longer pools I don't have that option. Or I could smoke a cigar and say that the trout won today. Doesn't matter to me anymore. The "standard" rod today for fly fishing trout is the 9ft/4pc/5wt rod. My go-to rod is whatever fits that stream. I fish my 7 footer on Clarks creek and use 9 1/2 footer on the Pine in Lycoming. Kettle I use a 8 1/2 footer. Stop by and look into my truck some day. After 50 + years of fishing, I got a rod to fit. I started with a 7'6" glass fly rod so I know how you feel on " I can do anything with this". Then I got older and spent some of my extra cash on more rods. Opened up a whole new door for me. Good luck on your fishing.

Big D
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Waterfowler
What is with all of the 9ft 4 or 5 weight rods out there now days. A couple of magazines I get had mostly only 9ft rods in their review sections. I was looking on the shelves of sporting good stores and again, they only had 9ft rods. There were quite a few more varieties of 9ft leader than there were 7fters.

Whats wrong with the good ole 7'6"? I don't see any advantage of having a rod of that length and weight for trout. Actually I think it could be quite cumbersome. Half the streams I fish are not 9ft wide at some places!

I have never bought a fly rod and never will, my dad makes quite a nice rod, so I was just wondering what the hype about the longer rods are. The only 9 ft rods he has made are heavier weights for salmon.
Well, you don't flyfish so you don't understand the clear advantages a longer rod gives the flycaster on many trout streams. There are a number of advantages but longer casts and better line mending capabilities are two of them. Longer rods also make for excellent nymphing presentations. Actually a 7'6" is a bit short for an all-around 5 weight rod. 8' or 8'6" is better. A 9' rod is an excellent choice on larger trout streams like the Upper Delaware area or say the Lehigh where longer casts are often necessary as well as a rod capable of punching through the wind.

Same thing with a longer leader, it can aid in a better presentation. On the Upper D and many other Catskill streams, a 9ft leader is often the minimum needed. 18' leaders are not unheard of up there. Of course, if one isn't a proficient caster to begin with then a longer leader will likely frustrate them.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have gotten used to fishing 10' to 12' rods. The last few years I have shifted to using a lot of euro nymph techniques in clear water and on pressured fish.
When fishing long leaders and tightlining, fishing a 9' rod really is a disadvantage over the longer setups.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Well, you don't flyfish so you don't understand the clear advantages a longer rod gives the flycaster on many trout streams. There are a number of advantages but longer casts and better line mending capabilities are two of them. Longer rods also make for excellent nymphing presentations. Actually a 7'6" is a bit short for an all-around 5 weight rod. 8' or 8'6" is better. A 9' rod is an excellent choice on larger trout streams like the Upper Delaware area or say the Lehigh where longer casts are often necessary as well as a rod capable of punching through the wind.
I don't fly fish huh? Are you kidding? I have been fly fishing since I was 5. My dad has been fly fishing for the last 45 years plus. He has been making rods for the last 30 years. He has also ties flies for numerous shops, and has been asked numerous times to put on seminars. We only use flies for trout and do a fair amount of fly fishing for other species as well.

I don't know if it is the geographic area or what, in the area I fish, you don't see people using 9ft plus rods for trout. There are not many "large" streams around. Some of the waters we fish are The Yellow Breeches, Falling Springs, Marsh Creek, Little Marsh, Middle Spring, The Conocacheague, Mountain Creek, and The Conodoguinet. Most of those, are not very wide.

I own two fly rods for trout, a 6' 4 weight, and a 7'6" 5 weight.

For those of you that simply answered my question, thanks! For those of you that don't think I fly fish, have fun with your 18ft leader!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i dont fish big water either and fish a 10 footer with no issues at all, heck i have fished wood streams that i could almost jump across with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page