Wader Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Wader Help

I am in the market for a new set of breathable chest waders. I was hoping you could share any information you have on the type you currently use and why. What brand do you have? How long have they lasted you? Are you happy with the product performance? Hopefully your opinions will help me weed through the overwhelming choices that the great world wide web has to offer. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Wader Help

I've had Simms and Patagonia. Simms were G3 when they first came out, I beat the snot out of them. They made it 4 years without a leak. Simms repaired them for $40. It was a small leek in the leg and bootie. They made it another 3 years and Simms said your waders have reached their end of life. Simms offered a discount if I purchased the waders on the phone Right there. Can't remember how much.

Then I moved on to Patagonia water masters. Didn't beat them too hard.. Leaked 1 year in and Patagonia sent me another pair. Two years later they leaked again and they sent another pair and water masters dropped in price $50. they sent a $50 gift card ! I've had my current water masters for 3 years I believe.

To summarize, I thought Simms at the time top of the line was better than Patagonia's mid line. Patagonia's customer service and backing their product is better than Simms, so I doubt I'll ever go back to Simms.

Why ? Because all breathable waders will eventually leak and I shouldn't have to pay to get them corrected.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks hightine, warranty and customer service is a big key to my purchase so thanks for touching on your experience with that. The last pair I bought was from Cabelaís and one of the main selling points for me was the warranty. It claimed to be a lifetime of the product on Ďnormal wear and tearí. So I thought if I took good care of them and a seam happened to leak or a strap broke I could get a replacement. Turns out two years later the pair I bought was discontinued. So basically I was SOL since they didn't have a replacement pair. They did offer me a store credit refund but it was not the full value, It was about a third the original cost. Donít get me wrong Iím happy I at least got something back but I still feel a little cheated. Thatís why Iím asking around to see what others are experiencing. I donít mind paying extra for waders or anything for that matter, but for me I have to justify the extra cost by what I get out of the product. I donít feel the Cabelaís pair out lasted the extra expense so before I take the plunge with another brand I want to make sure I do my homework.

I do have to say that 4 years and a $40 repair for another 3 years out of a heavily used pair of Simms doesn't sound all that bad. Granted you had to pay for the repair on top of the original cost but you got 7 years of use out of them before total failure. That seems like one tough set of waders to me. I have been looking hard at the Simms line but canít seem to pull the trigger because of all the options out thereÖ. I took a look at the Patagonia Water Masters that you mentioned but it doesnít seem like they are available anymore. Unless Iím looking on the wrong sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a pair of orvis sliver sonics which i love, best pair i have ever owned
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I sent back to Simms twice actually. First repair was free now that I'm thinking more about it. I was looking on patagonia's site. The $300 pairs are comparable to water masters. Same thing really, just a name change.

You get what you pay for.. True story in breathable waders.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:49 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like Orvis waders. I have the Pro Guides (discontinued); they are at least 5 yrs. old. I also have the original silver sonics, these are 4 yrs. old. Neither have any leaks. I did have the old silver label waders which leaked within a year. I returned these 3 times and they finally gave me a pair of the silver sonics as a replacement. Best thing they ever did for me.

I also have a pair of the LL Bean Emerger II waders 2 years ago and have used them when I travel out west (they stay at my cousin's house in Denver, CO) and have been very dependable.

Make sure you buy a pair of boots that fit properly. I'be been through more pairs than I want to admit, to find ones that fit right. You will be hiking in these for hours, days on end and they must preform like hiking boots. There is no standard on how companies label the size. I have bought sizes 13 to 15 to find ones that fit. Buy the waders then wear them to buy the boots. I have found that if you have a narrow foot, Korkers will work for you. Foe wide feet, which I have, I found Orvis and LL Bean make wider boots, with an edge to the LL Bean Grey Ghost.

RIZ
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:03 PM

I have a pair of the ll bean "bomber" waders. Not exactly sure how long I've had them (almost 20yrs I think). They Are great I am on my second pair of wading shoes but ll beans costumer service is great They were expensive back then. It was like $550 for waders and wading boots. The waders have multilayers of gore tex and a layer of Kevlar. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore but I will continue to get llbean products

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 PM

I have a pair of Simms G4 Pro Waders that I've used for six seasons without a leak. Best waders I've ever owned. The price has jumped up on them however.

Never Misses
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the input so far everyone!

It sounds like the 2 opinions on the Orvis silver sonics may be promising. I have the Orvis river guard brogue boots so they might pair well together.

The G4 pros are nice too but I think my wife would break my legs before I get to try them on if I spent $700 on waders...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 02:34 AM
Part of the Community

I've had Orvis tell me that the normal life span of waders is 6 years. After that, you're on your own.I purchased a second pair of Orvis Silver Labels so I would have a pair while the other pair was being fixed or replace by Orvis. Then they gave up and pulled the plug. Ok for them, now I own LL Bean and so far no leaks after one season. Everyone says their warranty is top shelf, we shall see. BTW if you buy Simms, don't buy the imports, they leaked for me on the second day of use and I just trashed them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page