Materials to buy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Materials to buy

Now that I read the thread on where to buy...
What to buy is the next question. I have a beginner fly tying kit that was given to me, but I am ready to move on. I fish in SE PA and NC PA, Clinton, Tioga, and Potter.
I do not fish dry flies, only wet and nymphs.
If you were to compile a list of materials that were must haves, what would they be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Materials to buy

There are so many different types of nymphs, larva, and wets that it would take up this whole page. If you are a beginner then I would say stick with more popular but still very effective flies like pheasant tails, hares ear, copper john, zebra midges, and other nymphs and larva that don't take too many materials. I would get a good supply of pheasant tail, peacock herl, wires like copper and silver and maybe gold, goose biots, beads, and the best advice I can give you is to go on websites that show a lot of tying recipes for many popular patterns. I recommend a site called intheriffle.com. They have a website with tons of gear and materials and a youtube channel that show hundreds of patterns. Good luck.

I will never understand why people can be so blinded by a liar.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Materials to buy

Like Strut said, pheasant tails and peacock herl can tie a lot of flies. If you know someone who pheasant hunts, ask them to save the tail feathers for you. I got some from a group of guys and the Pheasant tail nymphs tied with it out fish the same pattern with store bought feathers in my experience. (It might just be dumb luck ) I like beadheads for my nymphs, I would look into some of those also. Most flies can be tied with either black or brown thread and fish are none the wiser. I like mustad hooks, but thats just what my grandpa showed me and I've never ventured away from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page