Gearing up a newbie to Fly Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Gearing up a newbie to Fly Fishing

Hey everyone, I am trying to get into fly fishing this coming spring. Have done it with borrowed rods and waders and love it. Now i want to get my own gear and was curious what you veterans would recommend for a solid fly rod and waders for a decent price? Also, if i am just fly fishing local PA streams and rivers what size rod and wt would you recommend? Thanks for the help.

United Bowhunters of PA

Hunting isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 03:04 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Gearing up a newbie to Fly Fishing

If you want a good fly rod for a good price then check out Bass Pro's Hobbs Creek rods. I have one and it is a very good rod. All you would need is a 5 wt 8-9 ft rod. For waders, look around at Bass Pro, Cabelas, and other fly fishing dealers and you pick. My waders are more on the expensive end but I know there are cheaper ones. Just to throw out a brand worth checking out, maybe Frogg Toggs for a cheaper pair. Good luck and welcome to the fly club.

I will never understand why people can be so blinded by a liar.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

First question is what are you going to be targeting, second how much do you actually want to spend on your equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks STRUT5A. I will look into those rods. I have checked out some at Cabelas too but just wanted the opinion of someone who knew there stuff but wasn't trying to sell it to me.

United Bowhunters of PA

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A lot of rod makers out there for a decent price. Even the big name companys have cheaper end rods if your not looking to sell something. Echo, Sage, Orvis, Scott, TFO just a few to look at. I would try my best to get something with a lifetime warranty makes it nice when/if you break something. A lot of waders out there but its had to beat the warranty on orvis.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:30 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

you need to go cast some rods. they are all different. with different feel to them. what feels good for me may be awful for you. also look for something in a medium or medium-fast action. these are more forgiving for an inexperienced caster. saying all that, I would look at TFO Professional and Finesse models, St Croix Avid or Imperial.
A good option would be to go for a used rod. A Sage DS would be a nice rod for a great price.

as for waders, check out the LL Beans. I have a pair and they have been great. the Redingtons are great too.

RIZ
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks everyone.

United Bowhunters of PA

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:22 PM
The Man

attackone nailed it. If you really like it, and borrowed a few rods and keep coming back to it. look at getting some decent gear. It is worth it to get a life time warranty on your rod.

I am actually a fan of allen fly fishing's stuff. It is imported but they give you a life time warranty on your rod. I have got a few from them and a few for my customers, with Allens permission.

Their compass rod is a decent rod for the beginner in my opinon. It is a pretty decent medium action rod and I would suggest a 9' 5 wt.

attackone turned me on to longer rods and I thank him for that as my go to now is a 10' 4 wt. Unless you are fishing a small stream with a low canopy the 10' rod makes it very easy to cast where you want to go.

I am a fan of redington waders, but they lack a bit in longevity. If you know you are going to be in this for the long haul look at orvis or simms for sure. I am in the market for new waders and boots this year, but might just get hipboots until the twins are born and I can see just how much fishing I will do.

I agree with RIZ about looking at a good used rod, but only if you can inspect it first hand.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 PM
New Arrival

I second the 10' rod if you are nymphing or throwing dry flies. Look at the Cortland Competition Nymph Rod.

Reels do not matter, but you do want them to balance well on the rod.

Get a decent pair of waders. They all get holes eventually. If you want to deal with sending them back get a pair with a warranty. Otherwise buy a cheaper pair.

For flies, all you need are a few pheasant tails and parachute adams. If you are like everyone else you will buy or tie everything under the sun and then eventually come to the realization that you don't need many different types because fish aren't that intelligent.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

So my fiance went out and got me a fly rod for Christmas and a pair of hip waders. The rod she got me is a 7'6" 4wt wind river series from Cabelas and a pair of hip waders. Not along the lines of what yall recommended but still beyond estatic to get started trying it out. Trying to figure out which streams allow year round fishing down here in SEPA (chester county area) so i can take it out for a test run here. Was thinking Valley creek in Valley forge or even ridley creek down in Delco. Any recommendations? Having issues reading with all the excitement haha.

United Bowhunters of PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page